Symphony/Ripit 7.5 - Bump curves for CDI

Munsell

We recently installed a new Esko CDI and Dupont FAST and decided to keep the Symphony RIP since we use the die database so heavily. In case its not obvious, we are narrrow web flexo.

To anyone using this RIP to drive a CDI with thermal plates, how are you setting up the bump curves in the RIP. I have it working, but it seems like I had to trick the program. I have my 1-10% bump set up in the device linerazation section. Obviously, the software doesn't like my curve. It wants everything to be linear. During FIQ, we found out on our.067 plate, the 7.5% washes out to 1% (viewed on a Betaflex). I want the RIP to bump my 1% dot up to 7.5% so it washes back out to a 1% on the plate. So on up to 10%. When I put in the numbers, then rip a file and view the raster image, my 1% dots are coming out as 6%, not 7.5%. I had to tell the RIP to print the 1% as ~9% to get it to actually show up at 7.5% in the ripped file. Is this what everyone else is experiencing? More important, does this make sense to anyone?

I'm not having as much trouble with the press curve. I've found on most substrates/presses, I still need to do a slight bump, even after dot gain on press. I'm coming in at around 45%-53% for the 50% dot. The 50% is washing out to approximately 30% on the plate, so I've calculated a curve that will get me a ~43% so the press will gain to the proper 58-62% in the midtones.

Ahh, the wonders of Semi-direct to Flexo plate. "the little dot that could, or not" hehe.

Try profiling using the "Precision Curve" linearization in the RIP. That will allow you to calibrate with gray levels instead of screen percentages.

Printnewb

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back