Tec Lighting UV coater and venting question

We have a Tec Lighting coating system that I run and all we have for venting is the dryer-type line that pulls the heat off the UV lamp. It is vented through the roof. My question is, I have noticed while running it, that is irritates my nose to the point of bleeding and other people in the shop have become nauseated. What is the prolonged damage it could do if not properly vented using a hood over machine type evacuation fan? It's obvious it needs one. I get severe headaches and sometimes nosebleeds from the fumes....:(.
Any help and input is always appreciated.

What coating are you using? We have a small TEC machine with their 2709 coating for our production copier outputs and have had absolutely no such effects even with minimal venting. Check the coating bucket for an MSDS maybe?

What you describe is absolutely not acceptable. If it were me, I would stop using the machine immediately until the situation is brought to a healthy operational status. You and your co-workers should never have to deal with such environments.

Good luck!

MalcolmBliss,

I recall hearing from a safety consultant hired by the company I work for that UV fumes and direct contact affect people differently, meaning someone else could work your position and not get headaches or nosebleeds or perhaps have a worse reaction. The consultant's name is Joe Eudyand he offices in Dallas/Ft Worth. Your company should consider hiring him if this problem is affecting multiple people. I have a lot of respect for Joe. He is an expert in his field. Joe Eudy

Take care of yourself,
Matt Louis

UV

UV

UV coating is nasty stuff, it really hacks me off when I see vendors talking up UV as environmentally friendly, technically once cured it is innate, but anyone that has worked with UV coatings, UV inks, UV large-format will tell you it is not pleasant to work with...

What coating are you using? We have a small TEC machine with their 2709 coating for our production copier outputs and have had absolutely no such effects even with minimal venting. Check the coating bucket for an MSDS maybe?

What you describe is absolutely not acceptable. If it were me, I would stop using the machine immediately until the situation is brought to a healthy operational status. You and your co-workers should never have to deal with such environments.

Good luck!

We too use 2709. Perhaps it is the curing process and the vapors created as a result of it? All I know is that 1 person has gotten a skin condition from contact, hives. And myself have gotten nosebleeds and of course, headache. This happened to me when I was coating 15,000 pieces, 2 sides so a 30,000 run. Otherwise, on short runs, I have had no such problems.
I don't think I mentioned, we have a Komori 528 with an aqueous coater that runs in the same area not more than 5 yards away from the coater. And it gets rather warm in the shop!
The MSDS says Hazardous Polymerization may occur. This is bad for a warm enviornment.

The smell of it all !

The smell of it all !

Dear Sir,

The smell is OZONE and Oxygen Depravation may cause a headache . The Nose may be sensitized and dry.
UV coatings have smell but no fumes ( unless they add ?)

An OZONE FREE BULB and a better UV is where you start.

Check the blower rotation !!!!!!!!! A reverse blower will still put out a lot of air.
Take the vent hose off - Click briefly on cooldown on dryer - take flashlight and watch the fan in the side of machine -when it slows you will know if it is correct. Reverse 3 phase to change.

Seek thee Curtis at Al's Co UV if your blood still flows.

We too use 2709. Perhaps it is the curing process and the vapors created as a result of it? All I know is that 1 person has gotten a skin condition from contact, hives. And myself have gotten nosebleeds and of course, headache. This happened to me when I was coating 15,000 pieces, 2 sides so a 30,000 run. Otherwise, on short runs, I have had no such problems.
I don't think I mentioned, we have a Komori 528 with an aqueous coater that runs in the same area not more than 5 yards away from the coater. And it gets rather warm in the shop!
The MSDS says Hazardous Polymerization may occur. This is bad for a warm enviornment.

We used to use tec lighting uv coating and have switch to a new fluid that is low odor. There is a big difference. The old fluid would smell the place up. The new one does not.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back