Tech Support

gordo

221TechSupport_zps35fe0083.jpg

Or you can sign up for our convenient training program. It's only $150 per hour including travel time. We can get a trainer out to you in three or four week.

Been there. MAJOR vendor in this industry. It went something like this..

Phone Support: "Tech support how can I help you"
Me: "I need user manuals for product X, serial number XYZ. Oh, and training manuals if you have them."
Phone Support: "The only docs available are installation guides".
Me: "What do your trainers use?"
Phone Support: "We don't sell that device anymore. It was discontinued last year."
Me (in my head: "What did your trainers use when you used to sell it?")
Me: "<Sigh>. Since this is under service contract I'd like to have a field tech sent out for repairs"
Phone Support: "What is the issue?"
Me: "The device is not operational"
Phone Support: "Can you elaborate?
Me: "I have no idea what the problem is"
Phone Support: "I'll setup a field service call. The technician will call ahead and see if parts are needed to be ordered"
Field tech calls a day later..
Me: "Need training on this thing but phone support says there is no documentation. What did your trainers use when you used to sell it?"
Tech: "Yeah, we didn't sell many of those but it's pretty simple though."
Me: "File this ticket however you need to. Please come in and show us how to use it. We'll buy you lunch."
Tech: "Sounds like a plan. Tuesday?"
Me: "Great."

It's always a joy when you have to troubleshoot the troubleshooters.

Sounds like stuff I've had to go through. Whenever another company owned by the same guy gets new equipment, we get the old stuff. They got training for it, we don't.

I once had a situation with Symantec. I wanted to use their BackupExec software on one of my production servers so I downloaded a trial. The install required SQL which was already installed (but in use by my workflow system) so I did not install it. I tried contacting Symantec support to ask them some SQL/install questions but they were quick to remind me that no support is available for trial software BUT (and here's the kicker) they said I could speak to a support agent if I were to purchase a support agreement.

....so, to speak with support I would need to buy a support agreement to cover software...I...didn't...even...own...yet.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back