Testing New Presses

CKL

I will be testing some new printing equipment with the major manufactures. Any suggestions on how to evaluate apples to apples. The day to day work we run will not cause any press manufactures trouble.

Thanks in advance

well thats weird i was about to come on with a question very similar.
We have produced our own machine and are wishing to test out and we are going to use the OEE (overall equipment effectiveness) which looks at three areas, availablity, performace and quality. However, like any metric scaled testing it is vialble and worth while with the comparisons to other machines performance so i was looking to see if anyone knew of OEE scores for other offset machines or even any sheetfeds just to see what ball park we are in.

But CKL i reckon by using this metric to compare your machines you will see which one is better in which areas. Like everything these days, do a google search to find out more of a break down of this and how to measure it. Good Luck

And if anyone knows of results for any machines or where i can find out please let me know,
Thanks

CKL:
If it were me, I would make the press suppliers (assuming you are talking about a press) run a well known test form complete with ladder targets and digitally measured unit to unit register targets. They can all do this. You might even negotiate with them that an independent consultant evaluate the results. Next in importance is printing large solids without streaks, and maybe a mechanical ghosting test. Even if it's a used press, run these tests before tearing down the press, and again after the press has been re-installed. Then you have a benchmark where you can always return, like when there might be mechanical problems or a change of new consumables.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

It all depends on what you want to see. We have a computerized test system for registration what is used at most of the manufacturer on a factory level. We own the system and perform this kind of tests. It will give you the registration unit to unit up and down in microns as a standard diviation. Every press is maybe diffrent so you want to make sure you test your press.
If you want to know more about the test contact me [email protected].

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back