The Lean Process

@Gordo, can't we just buy "RE:print" the book? I'd make a great summer gift to employees, not to mention a must have at the print broker's coffee table :)

Lean is a great concept, as are most of the same ilk that preceded Lean, my only gripe is that in reality safety must consitute the 6th "S"

Trouble is that from what I have seen in the print industry most implementers are graduates with very little real world print experience, their solution is to apply a template to processes without understanding the parameters of the specific processes, don't get me wrong there are some very good lean aficionados out there but most are like seagulls, they fly in, shit on everyone and fly out.

regards
Maas

I am at the moment among other things working towards a teaching degree/diploma (or whatever they call it). Just handed in a paper on equality and assessment of action plans to deal with bullying. Now what's lean about that... not much... but it does become clear that any tool in itself can become a bureaucrats' ledger or an efficient tool to reflect over routines and implement strategies for change where needed. Any tool from an axe to a car can be used to save lives or for murder.

Lean.....well

Lean.....well

Sadly, the cartoons are pretty close to reality, in my experience.
Lean is a descent concept, but as with most things, implementation is key.

I worked for a local lean manufacturer here for a short while who built electrical control cabinets as a controls technician. These guys took the 5 S's to an extreme level. It was so extreme, I viewed it as largely unprofessional. I got out as soon as I found a better job. I left on good terms but I am unwilling to use them as a reference because of the high level of unprofessional-ism I witnessed while employed there.

Last edited:
Good managers employ tools to the best of their ability, while bad managers absolve themselves of responsibility and say "it's the tool's fault"! Any process improvement methodology is only as good as the people who implement it. As Lucas said "Any tool from an axe to a car can be used to save lives or for murder."

Mark H

I have 20 years in the printing business. I started in high school, sweeping the floors of a shop. I have held almost every production position available, from Pressman to CSR to multiple leadership roles. I am now the CI person at a 600+ employee shop. There are no rainbows to chase, only reality. And the reality is that if you are not using all your people to improve the business, you will fail, and shops like mine will put yours out of business. I want to see all printers succeed and am just trying to help by being positive and showing that it can be done. Its not a pipe dream, its reality. Every print shop can benefit from Lean and continuous improvement. I've seen it here and at many other shops.

I solely appreciate your effort. You can be the inspiration of many.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back