The Lean Process

Cory Smith

069-The-Lean-Process.jpg

Humans . . .

Humans . . .

. . . never miss a beat when implementing "ideas". When's the internal "lean" meeting?

This is the stupidest post I've seen. Although I would agree that some might think that cartoon represents Lean, anyone who has actually been involved in real Lean knows better. The comments above show how the "do it the way we've always done it - old boy mentality" is alive and well in printing. Its no wonder so many shops are going out of business.

I think what the cartoon shows is that many of the lean principles are already in practice. A production manager knows who is most and least productive of his operators and if someone slacks off he fires them and gets someone new. This is done every day from small shops to big shops anecdotally. The idea that a consultant or a full time bean counter comes in and makes the same conclusion with the help of 100's of man hours worth of data collection (and lets be honest, you have real costs associated with: enter # of make ready sheets, enter start time, enter smoke break time, etc) is a bit insulting to the boss or the manager that is in the trenches everyday and knows every screw up, every re-work, every time someone slacks off, without the aid of measuring all of the lean matrices.

Your comment is exactly what is wrong with printing today - the reliance on "the boss" to know it all and manage by fear. "...and if someone slacks off he fires them and gets someone new" is the exact opposite of Lean and Continuous Improvement. With CI, we want to ask WHY a thousand times a day until we fix the process. People want to come in and do a good job, product quality work as fast as they can. If you don't believe that you shouldn't be working with people. A bad process beats a good person every time.

I do agree with you that a consultant or bean counter is not the right way to go. People need a facilitator that they can trust and work with, and a leadership team that supports CI. Without those things any attempt will be very difficult.

Are you an owner of a printing company? Not sure if you are said consultant or not, but I doubt you are operating in the real world of printing. Not everyone has the talent or the drive or the motivation to do every job in a printing facility, sometimes you have to fire people for not performing, not sit around and say how can we change the process so "Fred" can be more successful at this job. Sorry, but sometimes managers and bosses have to put on their big boy pants and do what is needed to keep things running smoothly.

And I stand by my position that some of these "measurements" may be great and useful, but it has to be looked at in terms of cost / benefit, and if it means having a full time staffer compile the data into a report that no one reads then it is not worth it. If it is information that floor managers collect everyday already and can make recommendations on for little or no cost, great, if not maybe you need better managers, not some feel good panacea that you hope will make your shop run like a top...keep chasing rainbows!

I have 20 years in the printing business. I started in high school, sweeping the floors of a shop. I have held almost every production position available, from Pressman to CSR to multiple leadership roles. I am now the CI person at a 600+ employee shop. There are no rainbows to chase, only reality. And the reality is that if you are not using all your people to improve the business, you will fail, and shops like mine will put yours out of business. I want to see all printers succeed and am just trying to help by being positive and showing that it can be done. Its not a pipe dream, its reality. Every print shop can benefit from Lean and continuous improvement. I've seen it here and at many other shops.

Your position requires you to be a cool-aid drinker, and that is fine, and with 600+ people if you can get a small buy in from people then you may be able to move the needle a c-hair and it could be worthwhile, but don't preach to the mom and pop shops or the 15-25 people general commercial shops because the cost is too great, my shop on a Friday afternoon is a disaster area, gaylords overflowing, paper everyplace, but all the work gets out and people feel good about a honest days work, one of my press ops was lamenting just the other day about his old job and how he spent half his day punching in start / stop times and getting harassed by bean counters for not filling in ink usage on job 553432 a month ago.

Big brains in the front office have always thought they could "fix" production, but take it from someone who lives in both worlds, don't hate on the guys in the back humping paper all day long until you work just one shift doing the same thing and you will have a new appreciation for what they do...

Its unfortunate that you relate continuous improvement to metrics. The two are not the same. To your point, it is ALL about the guys in the back humping paper. How can we make their job easier. How do we eliminate the waste - all in an effort to satisfy the customer quicker, cheaper, and 100% right. Thats all its about brother, nothing more or less.

I've started to "lean thinking" in 1998, only now a can say that avery operator and employee, understand the importance at 100%.
Lean organization change during the technological evolution of the printing industry.

Just a reminder that higher resolution versions of RE:print cartoons, suitable for print out and framing or starting a fire are available. Just email me your request ( pritchardgordon @ gmail (dot) com ) and let me know which one(s) you want and I'll email to you.

best, gordo

Just a reminder that higher resolution versions of RE:print cartoons, suitable for print out and framing or starting a fire are available. Just email me your request ( pritchardgordon @ gmail (dot) com ) and let me know which one(s) you want and I'll email to you.

best, gordo

Gordo,

Is your operation Lean enough? :)

Maybe the problem is that most of us haven't seen a proper lean implementation. What many of us see are half-arsed ones. We get the part where they come in and eliminate jobs, but we don't get the part where the machines are properly maintained and the workflow is improved. We don't get the part where the processes are improved and standardized. What we do get is you have this much time to do a process but not necessarily the how. That makes for a lot of frustrated and overworked people feeling like they are failures.

I think that the cartoons is about the consultants, not the process itself.
Consultants are, you must admit, most of the time clueless about the printing industry.
It is obvious that the process works if it is applied with the right attitude and knowledge.
We have started doing the 5S a couple of months ago and so far it seems to be working.
The cartoon is funny. Full stop
No need to start a war about!

Last edited:
Lean-to

Lean-to

Prepress and the Business of prepress is a complicated deal today. You need to be fast, smart, and able to communicate well. "Lean", ya we got that. To be "lean" you need to whack everyone that doesn't have the right attitude and cannot put the rubber to the road and get s*^t done. Don't need to put too many charts together (or hire "consultants") to figure that out.

Lean isnt really anything new is it. Just a catch word or the "new phrase" that people get all excited about and banter on with. Soon there will be a new one, that front of house people will be tossing off about, changing systems and making pressroom tasks change yet again.

Or - as always looking at the pressroom to strip away more. " Dont use too many rags, thats not lean" and "Why do we need to order more powder" etc etc or my favorite-
"100 sheets makeready?!?!?" your JOKING!! THAT IS NOT LEAN!!! "
Meanwhile the printers keep printing. As always. Just wait till that dickhead gets moved on, due to the credit recieved that was in most part realised and implemented by everyone else.
In reality, its almost as if people think pressroom staff can't figure out or understand about reducing waste. We do that already.

There is nothing in the concept that isnt already found in Business - How To Make Money 101. Do more with less. Reduce waste as thats your profit being carted out in the bin. etc etc.
So, I really agree with the somewhat cynical yet accurate idea behind the comic strip.
Also CD102 good points too.

Last edited:
This really shows the power of irony. Had that been a text post in the lean thread it would hardly have been noticed. Irony is the mirror that dares ask the emperor about his new clothes, which he may or may not insist exist. You may have a great lean programme, if so good for you :).

The question is are we willing to rethink and change our ways, or do we just follow the latest recipe for success for as long as it is fashionable.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back