Tolerance for misregistration

J

Is there an industry standard or specification for out-of-registration tolerance for magazine publications?

J

I've wondered about an industry standard for a while as wel with registerl... I remember doing some reading about a given registration standard years ago, although our plant here decided not to incorporate a hard rule. I think it is hard to hold register to a standard like a lot of the industry does with ΔE or ΔH since some pictures will look fine with a register more than, say .007" out of line, while sharper more contrasting photographs will show it with possibly even less.

Try the FOGRA Organisation

Did a search there and found nothing. Also there's nothing about misregistration in the SWOP, SNAP, or GRACoL that I could find. Other than for proofs - which must be in perfect register.

J

According to "medien standard druck"in Germany (Fogra, BvdM).
is the tolerance half of the screening.
example:
with a screen 60L/cm the tolerance is 83 µ.
1cm/60=0.01666cm x 0,5 = 0.0083 cm = 83 µ

According to "medien standard druck"in Germany (Fogra, BvdM).
is the tolerance half of the screening.
example:
with a screen 60L/cm the tolerance is 83 µ.
1cm/60=0.01666cm x 0,5 = 0.0083 cm = 83 µ

Interesting. That works out to 0.0033" and that is the distance of one half row of dots. One half row of dots is what I was alway told was the tolerance and it is enough to take a rosette from clear-centered to dot centered.

I wonder why such basic information is missing from the N. American standards and specifications?

best, gordo

Register Variation

Register Variation

Hello "J" and fellow Lithographers,

Enlightenment: - PDFs

I hope you will find of interest and value.

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• Color Register # 1.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 360
  • Color Register # 2.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 257
  • Color Register # 3.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 236
Register Variation Part 2

Register Variation Part 2

Enlightenment - PDFs

"From knowledge to competence is a great step --- from ignorance to competence an even greater one"

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• Color Register # 4.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 209
  • Color Register # 5.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 245

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back