Toshiba e-studio6540c vs. Sharp MS6240N or a 6500 (fiery)

lexcreate

Our organization is looking to purchase one of these printers. We print books, booklets, posters, calendars, brochures (folding), print material with a lot of text, some graphics, need saddle-stitching, folding, good, crisp quality for text and graphics, print on tricky waterproof paper. Scanning is another necessity. We do not have consistent large print runs every month, only during some months. We used to have a Konica Minolta C6501, but that is overkill for our needs now.

Can anyone share their thoughts on these two brands and makes? I have seen samples from both companies.
Pros and cons would be a good start.

Alexis

Why in a haven, would you look at any of those? I, honestly, may not be uptodate with Sharp and Toshiba but some years ago I worked as tech for a Sharp / Toshiba dealer. B/W Toshibas were OK but colors were terrible Sarps were the worst machines there is (some may dispute and say that there are worse machines but still, even B/W boxes were terrible) At some point Sharp was remarketing 60 /50 ppm B/W Toshiba Boxes and later Ricohs because they could not make descent unit of their own. Anyway both of these manufacturers hold a fraction of the color machines market and simply office machines. I mean you want some reliability and longevity to come with your list of requirements right? KM Bizhub C6501 is an excellent machine, overkill or not - it is far more superior to anything that Sharp or Toshiba has to offer. Please don't kid yourself thinking that you will get out of any Sharp/Toshiba what you have from C6501 but for less money - It will be POS unit that will cost obviously less but then you have to cross out 2/3 of demand list.

By the way, I understand that this is not a "sell me something" post but let me offer you something: I have a KM Bizhub C65hc with only 229k on the meter, (this is pretty much a C6501P with High Chroma Tones) Saddle stitch finisher, Large capacity tray, EFi Fiery Pro 80 Rip $16,000 - I can set-up $1 buyout lease if you want for 36/39/42 month
Let me know if this sparks your interest in any case - you don't have to buy my KM obviously but Sharp or Toshiba isn't a wise choice for sure besides staying with the unit you are familiar with, knowing how to run it, what to expect is a good idea.
The picture attached is exactly package I offer.
Here the link for the brochure:
http://product.konicaminolta.ru/files/Products/bizhub PRO C65hc/Brochure_bizhub_PRO_C65hc_en.pdf

Attachments

• bizhub_C65HC.jpg
    bizhub_C65HC.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 163
lexcreate-
If you are set on saving some change in the purchase price and feel the color quality of the Toshiba is satisfactory, then I do recommend that unit. I have a 6520 with over 2 million color clicks on it and a Fiery RIP. Of course, it has required service, but when compared to other machines like Canons, it is far more reliable. I cannot speak for the reliability of color KMs, I only know their original bw 1050 boxes weren't up to par.
When printing on letter size, plain paper, the unit never jams. The main feed roller on the side cart has been changed only 3 times. The developer units have been replaced once or twice, same with the fuser. What I don't like about it is that there is no option for a de-curler, there is not more paper handling capacity on new units, and the colors aren't as accurate. I have no experience with their booklet maker.

Km 1050 not so good? I have just ran 50,000+ pages on mine in a matter of 3 days, without a hickup

Thanks for your discussions. I had the sales reps print copies of our documents and books and the Sharp was crisper in the black and whites and they were comparable for colour. The Sharp specs were stronger as far as robustness. Maybe things have changed in the last 2-3 years for both.

What about a Canon ImageRunner Advance C7270/7270?

We are not looking into a Konica Minolta because of cost, but they are also 'fussy' and 'overkill' for our needs now. We have small print runs for books, calendars, booklets, brochures and we are not a commercial print house.

I would expect the Canon to output more accurate color and better out of focus clarity in pictures, but you will probably have more breakdowns than the Toshiba. Also, the big brother to this requires good air circulation, cooling, and you will have better performance and longevity with humidity control. The Toshiba is less 'fussy' on those things.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back