Toyo Hyplus 100

Lukew

I've been told this ink set is ment to be Toyo's flagship ink set, and the price per Kg comes at a premium too, so you would expect it to live up to the marketing hype.

Our criteria was a simple one

Zero petroleum solvents
Duct fresh,
Good trap levels
Sharp dot
High ink mileage
Ability to run stable at low IPA%
Resonably fast drying

Ran the ink set for a while, noticed it was slower drying then K+E ink sets.
Not as stable while running, you had to be tweaking the ink keys during the run, but seemed to dry harder, had a sharper dot and better trapping.

My biggest gripe is this stuff isn't duct fresh.... Spray the ducts, come in the next day and the black and magenta have started to skin up. Put lids on tins and they too have started to skin up.
Put any unused ink back in the tin, and it would congeal and leave little bits of skined up ink throughout the ink.

Now though we have come into some warmer weather this inkset has failed
Both yellow and cyan start to tint after about 3000 sheets, Yellow being worse.

I have thrown some hyunity in the ducts, and it performs directly to the marketing flyer.
Stays duct fresh, Hell even the can can sit for days and not skin up.
stable,
Fast drying,
No tinting, although some picture framing..
Downside is ink mileage is less then the hyplus.

Anyone running the hyplus 100,, is your set duct fresh ?? I have a suspistion that toyo here are adding more dryers to help aid the drying speed, or not enough antioxident.. Sales rep has said well you can't expect to have both fast drying /duct fresh... well why on earth does the hyunity not skin up yet dry's in a realistic timeframe.

Both yellow and cyan start to tint after about 3000 sheets, Yellow being worse.

I had the same issue and yep the yellow was the worst followed by the cyan. I had an ink rep on the phone that told me the same thing. He wanted me to buy a special transparent white to mix in so the ink wasn't so short. I called bullshit and I told him I shouldn't have to add anything. We just switched inks and the problem was solved.

Ok good to see I'm not the only one..
It troubles me when you enquire with reps when your having issues with products and they say " never seen that issue before"
Yes was suggested to me to put some body up into the ink, this is not an option, and an ink set that carries a $2.00 - $3.00 premium ontop of what is the normal charge for ink per kilo, it shouldn't be needed.

Jimbo, was your's duct fresh, or did it skin aswell?

The yellow would skin around the edges in the fountain and be dry on the ball/fountain roller. You definitely didn't want to put it back in the can.

also,

also,

We ran this ink for a long time, same problems discussed above, ALSO real bad lot inconsistency, almost every lot was radically different...don't pay more for a crappy product, Toyo has traded on its name for a long time, but I have seen a lot of poor products with Toyo on it recently, Maybe INX can whip them into shape no that they have control...

We are left with multiple sets of this ink, with the graphix company not going to do a swap for the hyunity, we are having to mix it 50 / 50 untill all the hyplus is used..

Strange thing is the hyunity is the thinnest ink I have ever come accross, with magenta being similar to hot runny honey.
Hopefully once we are running with straight hyunity it is continued smooth sailing from there, if not it will be Vanson vs3 to see how that goes.

I have ran the Hyplus 100 for two years with none of the problems. Until, the Hyplus 100 NEX came out. Which is the "improved version". Many of the above problems occured. I had numerous issues with thier UV set as well. Something has changed, so we had to change. Toyo is not what it use to be.

REYES1377,
Did Toyo ever give you a reason or there thoughts as to what or why the issues had arizon from?

So far so good with the Hyunity but it is early days yet. One thing I have noticed is that ink mileage has dropped considerably with the Hyunity.

I remember once I was comparing toyo ink to superior ink. I tried to get the best inks from both companies. Toyo's Hyplus 100 which is Toyo's best ink was VERY expensive then came Toyo's Hyunity which was a little more expensive than superior's top line ink which is Biolocity. I shipped about a ton of each ink to compare head to head. My pressmen didn't like toyo's ink at all, especially the magenta which was hard to control on press. They really liked the biolocity ink and it was very stable on press. I feel if you pay a premium for an ink like the Hyplus 100, you shouldn't have to ask. the company should come to you verify and make sure that the product lives up to it's premium price.

Indian

Indian

Ask your Toyo Rep where the ink is made as Toyo now make a lot of their ink in India, I know I use to work for Toyo....

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back