Transparent Image Over Gradient in Illustrator

I only see banding in the CMYK gradient when I allow the transparent CMYK image to overlay the gradient. If I mask the image so there is no overlaying on the gradient then there is no banding.

In my testing of the unmasked image over the CMYK gradient, both APPE and CPSI RIP produced banding. In my understanding the advantage of using the APPE RIP is that the file is not flattened until it is committed to a output device so trapping and other processes are done quicker. Additionally it handles transparencies that the CPSI RIP would choke on. Under CPSI the flattening occurs at the beginning of the process so trapping and such is slowed down. - Anyone, please advanced my understanding of APPE RIP's benefits beyond what I have written.

I think it is the relationship of the transparent image over the gradient that is causing the banding, regardless of when / where the flattening occurs.

I remember some years back (5) that PDFx1a gave superior results to PDFx4 int the Agfa workflow, they resolved those issues after some patch releases. I think you should report it to may technicians look into fixing th problem.

Not to cast aspersions on Kodak, but my experience with their support is that for system support they are great, but for helping with printing / rip / graphics problems they are not so "great".

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back