Transporting Agfa Accuset 800

Snap_Ya_Finguz

Hello

I'm about to purchase a secondhand Agfa Accuset 800, and I'd like to know if there are any transit screws I should tighten before I move it?

I'd hate it if there were and I didn't know about them. I'm assuming the seller won't know about this either (worse case scenario).

If there are not, will it survive being laid flat, as I need to get it up some steps and around a corner, and this will involve it not being upright.

I've output many-a-job on various setters, but never had the need to move one.

Thanks people, and ANY info will be more than I know already.

Edited by: Snap_Ya_Finguz on Jun 9, 2008 12:37 PM

Edited by: Snap_Ya_Finguz on Jun 9, 2008 12:41 PM

Re: Transporting Agfa Accuset 800

Snap,

There are no screws to secure to move the AccuSet, just unload it and make sure the cassettes are out. You shouldn't lay it on it's side for moving. You can take the sides off and use an appliance dolly to take it up the stairs. Once it is on the floor you need it on, just roll it. It is on wheels. The AccuSet is a great imagesetter if it was maintained.

What RIP are you going to drive the AccuSet with?

Re: Transporting Agfa Accuset 800

Don

Thanks for that answer, I was going mad finding nothing on Google, but it did find this forum so I'm pleased with that.

I'll be running a Viper RiP on a Mac G3. Have always used Linotype's before this, but that was working (20-30 odd years) for others.

I'm glad you think the Agfa is a good setter, having decided to go it alone I'd like to get it kinda right when it comes to the hardware.

I learned my trade on a Berthold Phototypesetting system, with glass fonts and an max output size of A4 with crop marks on a single sheet. Clunky and slow, and sometimes tedious what with keying in every tab and rule line (and running into the darkroom every time a single page was set), but the result was fantastic.

I've been aspiring to those heights ever since, and your answer reinforces what I've read about the Agfa.

I'll let you know how I get on with the move, and if I get a problem you'll be the first to know.

Many Thanks Don.

Lionel (snap)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back