Trapping white knockouts with boosted black

bhm8hwcm

I have a question about trapping with the Xitron rip (Harlequin) and I was hoping someone might have an answer. I know when trapping is on and you are running a boosted black with some CMY under the 100% K then then the underlying colors will spread so they are not net fit to the K when printing white knockouts (we print a lot of small white text on black backgrounds). I know the trappink works when the black is 100%.

Unfortunately we prefer not to run 100% K for large areas and we always cut it back. Our boosted black is actually 75 C, 68 M, 67 Y, 92 K.
Because our black is not 100% the trapping software does not trap it so we actually manually trap things when doing small white knockouts.
I have looked at some of the settings on the rip but I could not get it to work.

Any thoughts if this is possible? I can modify my boost if needed but I would prefer not to run 100%.

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the Harlequin/Xitron trapping, but I would be looking for some setting along the lines of "Use black trapping rules for densities over x%"

If you did not find any similarly setting as Magnus suggested:

not really a suggestion for "industrial" production, but a(n awkward) technical possible solution for some critically single jobs:

Take C,M,Y-Plates RIPed with 100% K in boosted black where in the trapping happens as you wanted and take only the K-Plate from boosted black 92% K-RIPed plates...

If you did not find any similarly setting as Magnus suggested:

not really a suggestion for "industrial" production, but a(n awkward) technical possible solution for some critically single jobs:

Take C,M,Y-Plates RIPed with 100% K in boosted black where in the trapping happens as you wanted and take only the K-Plate from boosted black 92% K-RIPed plates...
Another option would be to apply a curve to the black plate, however this would also affect any other black objects in the job.

I have a question about trapping with the Xitron rip (Harlequin) and I was hoping someone might have an answer. I know when trapping is on and you are running a boosted black with some CMY under the 100% K then then the underlying colors will spread so they are not net fit to the K when printing white knockouts (we print a lot of small white text on black backgrounds). I know the trappink works when the black is 100%.

Unfortunately we prefer not to run 100% K for large areas and we always cut it back. Our boosted black is actually 75 C, 68 M, 67 Y, 92 K.
Because our black is not 100% the trapping software does not trap it so we actually manually trap things when doing small white knockouts.
I have looked at some of the settings on the rip but I could not get it to work.

Any thoughts if this is possible? I can modify my boost if needed but I would prefer not to run 100%.

Thanks
Hi, I had same issue a couple of years ago.
I emailed to Xitron and they gave me a script that enable a feature calle Sperblack trap set.
You have to set the K value you want to start the trapping and it is done!
Hope it could be useful.

G:

Thanks to everyone for their help. It sounds like the easiest option will be the script from Xitron if I can get my hands on it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back