Tri-folding setup

jdodoubleg

Is there a best practices for setting up a tri-fold? Inevitably I seem to always have tri-folds that have solid color changes right on the folds. I have been using the setup where none of the panels are the same size, but this kind of artwork always gives me a headache. Does anyone have any tried and true way to do these?

Your Duplo 618 should allow micro adjustments to get the print assets right on the folds, but you have to start with an accurate file and tight front to back registration. My setup is almost the same as yours- Duplo 646 and V3100.

Are you looking for standard panel sizes?
Yes, that is part of it. I know there are a few different setups you could have. I have the front panel a bit bigger than the other 2 (which are identical). I know there are setups with all panels different sizes - wondering if that is a better way to go. Also, what about cutting. Do you cut a certain way? Like leave one end long? Just looking for a way to possible alleviate my headache with these.

Yes, that is part of it. I know there are a few different setups you could have. I have the front panel a bit bigger than the other 2 (which are identical). I know there are setups with all panels different sizes - wondering if that is a better way to go. Also, what about cutting. Do you cut a certain way? Like leave one end long? Just looking for a way to possible alleviate my headache with these.
That sounds like your first problem, you can't have a larger front and the remaining two identical unless it's a Z fold. That'll never work for roll fold. You can have the front and back the same but not inner two. I generally use the following -

Front - 98 99 100 with back - 100 99 98
or
Front 97 100 100 with back - 100 100 97
in Ireland so work in mm.

I generally find between trimming and folding you can marginally adjust for better results but you need the print backup to be bang on to start.

We do not do many trifold but we do standardize panel sizes. For an 8.5" x 11" 3 panel we do 3.6875" - 3.6875" - 3.625"

Not sure on cutting, I am in prepress. - I have heard they will short the small panel an additional 1/16" if they feel it is needed.

We do not do many trifold but we do standardize panel sizes. For an 8.5" x 11" 3 panel we do 3.6875" - 3.6875" - 3.625"

Not sure on cutting, I am in prepress. - I have heard they will short the small panel an additional 1/16" if they feel it is needed.
That is what i've been doing. I'll end up cutting the inside panel about 1/16 if I need to.

!! Exactly what we do, and the bindery loves it...

Attachments

• LetterSizeTrifoldLayout_WithBleed.pdf
    38.2 KB · Views: 175

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back