Trueflow 6 - Worth it?

eran

Despite the fact that I don't have many issues with the conventional workflow of TFSE, I can't help but wonder if I'm missing out on anything.
Has anyone made the upgrade? Results?

We just upgraded from 3 to 6 and the main reason was the handling of transparency issues in the Creative Suite package, ie Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. These issues will become more apparent in CS4 as well. It depends on how much time you want to spend fixing such issues.

The learning curve is small. Most of the upgrade is under the hood.

No, we just just adjust the trap in the RIP and use the Trap Editor viewing option periodically. We have never had a problem with the trap settings in TrueFlow. We do have the Page Optimizer option however which allows you to gang run odd sizes on one sheet. I see that as a huge benefit rather than stepping in Quark or InDesign. Another big plus is that all tickets honor transparency so you don't have to remember which jobs require it and which do not.

Pam we are considering the Trueflow upgrade here also. Our biggest concern is that it handles transparency issues (that our latest version 3 with the latest point upgrades) can't handle. I would like to speak with you and get your feedback. My email is [email protected] Thanks, Randy.

Has anyone experimented with modifying files via Pitstop in TF6?
I currently run 5.01 and I am able to adjust traps and overprints from my (Advanced Workflow) Trueflow PDF.
Does the ability still exists in 6?

I often edit pdfs in Pitstop Version 8, Update 4 and send them to our Trueflow 6 RIP. I am not necessarily adjusting the trap but other considerations such as color, page size, photo adjustments, etc. The only problem I have had is that the pdfs can't be secured or Trueflow rejects them.

Hope that helps.

I guess what I'm wondering is in regards to using Pipstop in lieu of PDF Trapeditor after the file has been imported into Trueflow... Any thoughts?

Sounds like something you would have to question Screen about. The only way I see that working is to trap the file first in Pitstop and then not trap the file in Trueflow. But that seems like a lot of extra work. Is this because you don't like they way Trueflow is trapping your files? I don't believe you can alter a file that's already run through Trueflow. If you can that is new to me and we aren't using it.

The Advanced workflow is fairly limited in 5.01 (no outlined PDF) and we did not purchase PDF trapeditor. I've only gone this route once or twice and only to modify an overprint or adjust a trap after the file has been processed and trapped by trueflow. I imagine it's something Screen would rather prevent as it lessens the need of PDF Trapeditor. Screen support seemed surprised the functionality even existed which makes me wonder if they've prevented the ability somehow in TF6.
If you ever have the chance to try it in your TF6 workflow, I'd be curious if the functionality is still around.

We usually set overprints in the native files, i.e. Illustrator, or InDesign and have Trueflow trap other colors according to the specs we've set. We have never run into a trapping issue that has resulted in complaints from our press people unless the file wasn't trapped in the first place. You could try to alter your trap settings in Trueflow if they are giving you unsatisfactory results or change it in the native file. As I said earlier, trapping in PitStop seems like an extra step. Not sure I want that experiment. Good luck in your endeavors. I have had mostly good results with Trueflow and their support team, just a few glitches which is probably expected in this ever-changing printing environment.

Where's your thirst for adventure!?

Thanks for the input, Pam.
Enjoy your weekend!

I guess since it's my birthday today, my thirst is centering around thoughts of Corona and Lime. However, I would need to understand the practical application before taking on the trapping adventure you suggest. And again, since it's mid afternoon, and it's not urgent and I'm one year older......

Have a good weekend as well.

You should be able to contact a sales rep from Screen to obtain a no obligation quote as the prices vary depending on how many levels of upgrade you need and training/installation.

Hi,
since your current system is now 4 steps behind the latest TF (or now also Equios) I think you need to upgrade your hardware as well which makes the upgrade costs higher than just sw upgrade. Do check the new stuff that Equios brings it is really a big step forward.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back