TRUEPRESS 344

Re: TRUEPRESS 344

In my spare time computers are a big hobby of mine. I do much software upgrades and hardware upgrades including Ram, Hard drives, sound and video cards etc. for myself and friends. Also for people who are recommended to me for which I may get a drink for. I deal with virus infections, web issues, Internet set ups, slow running computers and am looking into a sideline setting up and maintaining wireless Hot Spots. I also deal with digital photography and cinematics, converting analogue VHS or Betamax videos to DVD, using editing/dubbing programmes as necessary. In all of these cases I have found many programmes or issues that aren't up to scratch or are over valued as to their uses, or in some cases, just don't do the job. Yes, you could be right. Maybe I don't quite have the "Techno ability" to run the 344. Both myself and the other minder were chosen because of our ability to handle and respect computer systems. Maybe you could tell me what techno experience I'd need. How long have you run a 344 for anyway? Going by your posts you've only been to a demo.

The point is not what you do in your spare time or your capabilities to handle Virus Infections (of the computer kind) or VHS or Betamax recorders or editing or dubbing.
What is being pointed out that you have not been able to make the machine perform. Others have been able to do that, otherwise Screen would not have sold as many in this time. Please remember the proverb - a bad workman blames his tools.
Nobody is questioning your expertise and experience which is apparent from what you have mentioned earlier, but the fact remains is that on the TP 344 something is not going right with you.
Have you contacted Screen engineers and who? Please do.
Regards

My reference to what I do in my spare time was my sarcastic reply to Offset Guys snide comment that maybe we don't have the "techno ability" to run it. Some of the software I use in my spare time is far more complex than the Truepress. Fair play to Screen in that department, because whoever programmed the software for the Truepress has done a very good job indeed in keeping the whole thing very simple. That Offset Guy thinks one needs "techno ability" at all shows he knows nothing about the press as it is Screens claim that you can take anyone off the street and have them running the machine in a fortnight. (Screens cliam, not mine).
And if you want to go spouting off proverbs then heres one for you. " A chain is only as strong as its weakest link" In this case its the print unit itself. Of course We've had Screen engineers and technicians here. Who did you think I was going to call, the United Nations? They're coming back again on Monday and nigh on have their own lockers and coffee cups here. So far they have blamed our inks (changed them), our fount (changed), blankets (changed) water softener(changed) , dirty fount (cleaned every week now) roof is too low (didn't tell us that when we bought it) and the flactuating temperature of the room. (it gets hotter as the day goes on which, strangely enough I actually thought is to be expected so we are now getting two new air conditioning units fitted so the poor thing doesn't get too hot)
For your information too, I have pulled up so far, two jobs from the executed file that we just could not run to a commercially acceptable standard. The first time we had a Screen engineer here and a technician. They couldn't get it up to spec either. The second time was just me and the technician. He could not do the second run either and eventually admitted the machine couldn't do it. I've got a few more that I could pull out too that would make them lose a few more hairs. So, me, being the lousy workman I am, I'll just toodle off to the coffee machine and blame my tools if you don't mind. Because if they can't do it with all their experience then Its highly unlikely that I ever will.
Anyway I'm off. You guys asked for peoples experience and opinions and you don't like mine because they are negative.Sorry my opinions are negative but I'm not going to hype up what a machine can do when it obviously isn't up to it. Its a High Street Jobbing press good enough to print the Local Indian Restaurant menu ,the local hookers telephone booth calling cards or Bob the Butchers letterheads. Putting a Rolls Royce engine in a Skoda doesn't automatically make the Skoda a great car.

Just wondering, it seems you have a very favorable opinion of the TruePress. Is this from hands on experience with the press? I know of only a handful that have been installed here in the east coast and only 100% of them have been returned to Screen.

Do you work for Screen?

The concept may be a step above what you call DI (by the way, it is a DI) but apparently the execution does not work well enough for it to stick in any of the shops on the US east coast yet. The machine is still in BETA in the US and probably will only sell once they bring on the next improved version, in my opinion of coarse.

I don't see this iteration of the press as a threat to Pressteck or anyone other ink on paper equipment manufacture at this point.

I'll let it go. But you have to admit that you were wrong.

Edited by: David on Jul 14, 2008 8:44 PM

Edited by: David on Jul 14, 2008 8:54 PM

David,
Thanks for your great post. It is very important for everyone to see both the good and bad aspects of a piece of equipment. This forum and others out there will help guide users and purchasers in the right selection and use of the printing equipment they may use or purchase. Your first hand experience with the TP344 and your well thought out post will no doubt help others also.
I do NOT work for Screen.
I must say your choice of the Print Master 52 was excellent. Heidi makes the best! One question, when was a law passed USA printers could not use alcohol in the fountain? And where may I find that info? I had no idea it was banned from use in the USA. Not even 4-8.5% can be used any longer?
OG

When the proper fountain solution and ink are used it works as demoed at Graph-expo using a US made chemistry for plastic plates along with the proper inks. Over a 2 day period it just plain worked. I talked over 3 hours to the demo trainer installer.
There was no curl to the sheets( curl is caused by blanket to substrate shear forces). As for color running up and down it is usually caused by an unstable ink that wants to bounce between a liquid and a semi-plastic state. In other words the ink is attempting to dry on the rollers before it has a chance to transfer to the plate to blanket to substrate.

I bought a Truepress 344 and had it installed in April 2008 and it rocks.

I am a Small printer in South Africa.

I'm looking to communicate with other users and owners. Drop me a mail : [email protected]

Revisting this post now Feb 2010 and I still stand by this post. This is a great machine and it has done our business a great deal of good.
I would really recommend it.

Last edited:

My TP344 is doing very WELL so far. I'm happy with the quality it produce,
all I've noticed about TP344 is that you have to stick to the basics,
use only screen recommended products, then you'll no problems

Corrrect. Just use chemical which Screen recommend, then you have no problem at all.
Here we use soy ink, and it run well.
Our customer also happy with the quality and speed.
Now, my friend installed truepress also.

I also have a Truepress that is a problem. I am running on all recommended products with problems. The water balance is very difficult to control etc.

We also have the situatiion that we have no real support in our country as Screen does not have a local office here. The local agents are absolutely no help at all. I ordered a replacement feeder board (under warrantee) in March this year and still have no idea when I am going to receive it!!

Last edited:
I run a 344. Was installed a month ago. I cant get water balance to save my life. If I run in auto mode, the whole job will tone. Im going through the machine with the tech's tomorrow.

I've had the tech's out...

I've had the tech's out...

I have had the tech's out a lot since we first got the machine. What it comes down to is that the ink train wouldn't hold roller to roller nip pressures from one day to the next. The machine seems to have settled in nicely now and has been consistent. I have minor issues with auto-roller wash and blanket wash functionality, but that goes with any auto roller/blanket wash systems. I also had them calibrate the starting water and ink charges toward the lower end so that I would have more room to work with. I've been doing full page solid spot's and 4 color solid greys with no problem. 4 color light/medium coverage "images" are a piece of cake. Having issues with feed board wheel marks on the sheet. Cannot move wheels off the work and keep them on the sheet. Can only minimize their pressure.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back