turning a spread into a single page document?

ksk

Hi all

I have a bit of an urgent question; our printer has asked us to supply a document that was originally set up in Quark 7 with facing pages as a single page document (the reason being that it will be spiral bound and needs a bleed along the inside edge, as far as I understood).

Is there a quick way to do this? The document is almost 200 pages so would take a long time to do by hand.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Karin

Bristol, UK

do all of the pages have cross aligning items? you really only need to make the pages that have elements bleeding into the gutter as single pages. If there are no bleeds in the gutter, those pages are o.k. as is. you should be able to just separate out the pages that have bleeds in the gutter into single pages within the document by dragging them into single page spreads using the pages pallette. (see attached)

another option, if you can live with it and time is of the essence, is to under trim the document by 1/8 on the inside margins and actually trim the book to 8.375 x 11 instead of 8.5 x 11 (as an example). It shouldn't affect anything that bleeds across both pages since you're going to have a gap anyways due to the spiral binding. The only thing you'll have to watch is to make sure your copy isn't close to the inside margin and will potentially get cut off when undertrimming.

hope this is helpful. let me know how it turned out.

Attachments

• pages.jpg
    pages.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 184
  • pages2.jpg
    pages2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Thanks Oxburger! Unfortunately, all the pages bleed and the text does run rather close to the inside margin, so I'm just getting rid of the facing-page masters at the moment to turn the whole thing single page.. I guess that's the way to go, although it's a bit of a pain because the master elements have been changed on a lot of the pages. It's a lesson learned for next time :)

cheers

Karin

Karin,

I added another image above. See if that helps. It may save you some work (hopefully) depending on how the cross aligning elements are set up.

Hi again, that's a really useful illustration. Annoyingly this document has design elements on pretty much every page that would need a bleed pulled out as they only go to the inside margin. It would have been so easy to set it up as a single-page document from the start, but the way it's been laid out makes converting it quite frustrating.

But thanks a lot anyway, we'll be more aware of this in future!

all the best

Karin

Another option...

Another option...

Something I've used in the past in similar situations is to save each page as an EPS file (can be done in 1 step and you can set bleeds there). Then open a new document and place the EPS on the single pages. It's time consuming too, but I find that less mistakes are made (particularly with crossovers hanging on to the left-hand page that get missed) that way.

Just my two cents...

Patti

I have a bit of an urgent question; our printer has asked us to supply a document that was originally set up in Quark 7 with facing pages as a single page document (the reason being that it will be spiral bound and needs a bleed along the inside edge, as far as I understood).
That's the job of an imposition software...

And it's the printer's job to cope with imposition problems... if your printer doesn't have any imposition soft and/or if he is not able to do this job (his job), try another printer!

If the designer knows the job is going to perfect bind, spiral, or some other binding style where bleed is needed on all 4 sides. It is there job to design the file correctly.

Most of the print shops that I have talked to. Create estimates based on the file coming in output ready. So if there is additional work required, this will either come out of the printers bottom line (not likely), or be charged to the customer (which they don't like either).

In the long run it is cheaper for the client to fix the file than it is for the printer to fix it.

In the past I have had to split pages like this before. There is not a quick solution but there are some tips I can provide.

Not sure about the newer versions of Quark, but in the older versions there was a problem that if an element on the right page touched the left page and you moved the right page. The element would stay with the left. To fix this problem, I selected all of the elements on the right page and moved everything one inch. This made it so I could shift the page down.

If there were cross overs, I would duplicate the element one inch to the right, modify the left side so it didn't touch the left half.

After everything is shifted, I arranged the pages, moved the elements back to the left 1 inch, and then pulled out bleed as needed.

Yes, this process did take a while but I knew the results were good.

In short order, you could -
since they are "facing pages"
-
Export from Quark, as single pages, to PDF as postscript - 4 side bleed - no marx
distill
build an InDesign document
bring in the Quark PDF with multi-page import
use build booklet to create the imposition
print to postscript
distill
done

MSD

WharfRat,

Yes, you could do that. The problem is if an object stops at the spine, there won't be bleed on that object. You would have to extend the bleed on the object before printing. This would then effect the opposing what is printed on the opposing page.

If the designer knows the job is going to perfect bind, spiral, or some other binding style where bleed is needed on all 4 sides. It is there job to design the file correctly.
Yes, but imposition is NOT the designer's job. The designer's job is to make the pages, with the correct size, the correct bleeds, the correct margins...

Most of the print shops that I have talked to. Create estimates based on the file coming in output ready. So if there is additional work required, this will either come out of the printers bottom line (not likely), or be charged to the customer (which they don't like either).
In the long run it is cheaper for the client to fix the file than it is for the printer to fix it.
But, imposition IS NOT additionnal work!!! it's definitely the normal work of a printer!!!

10 years ago, when imposition softwares were rare and all the printer used manual stripping, yes we did greatly appreciate that the designer made a pre-imposition, making the good pages facing together, and adding gaps for binding...

... now, imposition softwares have become cheaper and do that job much better and quicker : it's no use (and a little bit stupid) to loose 10 hours to pre-impose a 200 pages book with crazy workarounds, needing a sharp control of each page at the end of the job...
... while the most simple imposition software will do a better and safier job in 3 clics and less than one minute!!!

Again, go to another print-shop!!!

Not sure about the newer versions of Quark, but in the older versions there was a problem that if an element on the right page touched the left page and you moved the right page. The element would stay with the left.
This bug is still in XPress 7... (bugs have an happy long life with Quark... ;))

Yes, but imposition is NOT the designer's job. The designer's job is to make the pages, with the correct size, the correct bleeds, the correct margins...

You hit the nail on the head with that. It is the designers job to make the pages with the correct bleeds,. If a designer is designing a poster, which bleeds on all 4 sides, they are expected to put bleed on all 4 sides, not just 3 sides. The same applies to a spiral or perfect bound book and this has nothing to do with having the designer impose the job. Just make the bleeds correct for the type of binding method.

Now if the designer/end client doesn't care about how the inside bleed looks on a perfect bound or spiral bound book. So be it and don't mess with making bleed on 4 sides.

This one is easy... go to each page(Spread) select all - group all items - do this for each page - now just add a page to the right hand side of each page so you now have a spread (it is obviously the wrong size page) - next all you do is change the document size to the single page size... job done.
I have done this on many jobs in quark without any problems at all, I hope this helps, let me know if it works.
Wouldn't pre-press be boring if everything came in correct - we would be out of a job, enjoy the problem solving.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back