Universal Type Server

kaiserwilhelm

To be clear from the start, I have been on Font Reserve Server since 2002. I cried a little when Extensis bought them. I knew we were headed down the Suitcase path...and we were.
So, I now have Universal Type Server 2.1
I tried for MONTHS to get it to import my fonts from 2002 to the present. (We are talking over a gig btw).
I finally gave up and just did a clean install on a local machine and decided we would just start a new type library.
Well, lo and behold....UTS does not like True Type??? Am I doing something wrong? I took the exact same set of fonts (collected in CS5 from my customer) and drug it into FRS and boom, I was preflighting away in seconds. I drug that same set into UTS 2.1 and every dang TT is non existent.
Anyone know what gives?
I want to move to 10.6, but FRS is not supported. Also, it is end of life, so I HAVE to make a move soon.
I really do not want to spend the $1,600 on a new font program, but if that is what it takes..then so be it.

Hi KaiserWilhelm.

Sorry that you're having issues adding fonts to Universal Type Server.

You should know that when they are added to UTS, all of the fonts are checked for corruption issues that could cause the fonts to not perform properly. It's possible that the fonts in question may have developed issues over the years. System crashes, moving them over a network, and other things may cause this.

I recommend two things.

1. If possible, load all of your fonts from the original media on which you received them.
2. Contact our technical support team for a more in-depth analysis of what could be causing your issues. Support is free to registered users.

Jim Kidwell
Extensis

Thank you for your reply. I guess my issue is that I have an install of 10.5.8 on a separate disk. I took the exact same set of fonts and put them into FRS (latest version). They went in and I was flying within minutes.
I then rebooted to 10.6.5 (with UTS) and every darn TT would not load.
Mind you. I followed the directions of the best practices to a T

Sorry after 2 months of problems from UTS after we upgraded, I am 10.6.5 (quark 8 too) we ended our relationship with Extensis (sorry Jim) and finally changed to FontAgent Pro

About to start using UTS

About to start using UTS

I tried to scour the interwebs to get reasonable good information about Universal Type Server and was a bit distressed how little there was. But I did find a bit. Nowhere anyone mentioned not being able to load Truetype fonts. Just to be clear, this is the latest version that isn't working, right? (Looks to be 2.1.1 server and 2.1.2 Mac client.) Is anyone else seeing this sort of (unacceptable) behavior?

Should I cancel the purchase order? We have a small department and thought that having the fonts for our jobs on a central server would eliminate headaches. We don't need headaches where we can't work on jobs because it won't allow fonts to be loaded.

Last edited:
Check out Linotype FontExplorer X Server. I haven't used the server version, but the individual version is better than the alternatives in my experience. Far fewer problems once I switched. Lots of prepress folks that I know love it (we turn on and off lots of fonts all day).

thomaus,

Universal Type Server absolutely does manage TrueType fonts. The issues that KaiserWilhelm is experiencing are definitely not typical, and are most likely related to issues with the fonts themselves.

All fonts are checked for corruption before being added to the server, thus preventing workflow headaches in the future. I trust that KaiserWilhelm is contacting our support team to have them help diagnose what's going on with his fonts.

You can also get a free, fully functional, trial version of any Extensis product before you buy. This way you can test UTS out in your workflow, with your actual fonts before you purchase.
Extensis - Downloads

Let me know if you have other questions.

Jim Kidwell
Extensis

I contacted them yesterday. Just to be clear. I have been on this UTS little excursion for almost two years. V1 couldn't get my FRS fonts to load. I spent about 3 solid days of getting a one gig file and then zipping it, etc.
I will say that Extensis was excellent at helping me, but when a program can't do what it should do, all the help in the world is not going to help.
I just need to this act as FRS always has.. I can't for the life of me understand why an 8 year old program worked just fine (until 10.6) and UTS hasn't really pulled it off yet.
I will GLADLY come back on this forum and state if this gets fixed or not. I would eat a lot of crow to be able to run 10.6 AND UTS and have it function as well as (if not better than) FRS.

thomaus,

Universal Type Server absolutely does manage TrueType fonts. [...] are most likely related to issues with the fonts themselves.

All fonts are checked for corruption before being added to the server, thus preventing workflow headaches in the future. [...]
You can also get a free, fully functional, trial version of any Extensis product before you buy. This way you can test UTS out in your workflow, with your actual fonts before you purchase. [...]
Jim Kidwell
Extensis

We just went into testing mode as suggested.

We have a collection of fonts that dates back over ten years but we use for production every day. So, if UTS suddenly declares some fonts corrupt, we won't be able to use them. That's what I'm worried about.

I'll report back what happens during testing.

Sounds like you have a nice font library like we do. I absolutely GAVE UP on getting my FRS fonts into UTS. I followed all the instructions and did finally get them in. However, it ran like a dog (local machine, not even going over a network) and again, it lost many of my fonts.
A font suitcase (9999 Joh's Letter as an example) that HAD 42 fonts in it under FRS, suddenly has 30 when imported to UTS.

If someone says you have corrupt fonts. Try a demo of Font Agent Pro AND FontXplorer Pro. See if your True Type fonts are showing corrupt in both of those applications. There is no cost to try a demo and the only thing you would be out on is time. You would have additional knowledge coming out though. If your True Type fonts do work, then you have ammunition for UTS.

As UTS has been in development for years, its corruption checking algorithm is much more advanced than what was included in FRS. So, it's possible that signs of corruption were not caught by FRS.

If fonts are very old and have been through many different system crashes, etc. There may be corruption that could very affect your workflow, and are legitimately being excluded.

As soon as we get copies of KaiserWilhelm's TTF fonts, we'll be able to better tell what state they are in.

Jim

I am reporting back as I said I would.
I do not know if I got a corrupted install or what. However, I can report that at this moment, UTS is not only cooking, it is cooking with gas. The TT issue is gone. It is FREAKIN speedy. Fonts go on in about 2 milliseconds. One of my favorite things was that the glitch on FRS (maybe others) where the first time you tried to open a document after you turned on fonts, you got an error. Then, closed and re-opened and all was fine.
Well, that is over now.
My only complaints at this point are that my 8 year old library did not come in well (but I am going to try that again for giggles) and, you cannot log in as ADMIN all over the place like I used to. What, pray tell, did that accomplish for us? I never had to "share" font sets or forget to share them. Everyone was Admin and they could just see them all.

In closing, I will go on record and state that UTS seems to be one font kick butting machine.

So far so good... Testing continues

So far so good... Testing continues

We've loaded over 12,000 fonts between the Mac side and the Windows side, and so far only about 5 fonts pulled up lame. And they were Postscript fonts, anyway. So, no problems with Truetypes yet.

There is a definite lack of feedback for the loading. The program sorts out duplicates as far as I can tell, but it doesn't tell you anything.

On the Windows client, I did get a bunch of "fonttool.exe has stopped working" messages when adding directories full of fonts supplied by Adobe with various software packages over the years. My guess is that it was the Multiple Masters in there. I didn't try to load those in the end. Evil fonts.

We just about have the full library loaded with very minimal issues. Next we'll work on tuning the configuration for the users.

Universal Type Server

Our Prepress department has been operating UTS for approx 1 year now. As expected, a few fonts were dropped upon importation. Our font "library" dates from as far back as 20 years. Perhaps routine font diagnosis and repair can be credited with the small number of corruptions that were encountered. Our installation runs pretty seamlessly, to the point that most techs in the department take its auto-activation and accuracy for granted. We needed a font management solution and this has worked for us.

We have had UTS now on 10.6 server with 10.5 and 10.6 clients for over 3 months. I am beyond thrilled. I have not had to Font Nuke once on my 10.6 machine. I did not think that a replacement for Font Reserve Server could be built. I was wrong. Excellent product. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the update! I'm glad that everything is going so well in your install.

We really appreciate your enthusiasm about Universal Type Server.

Jim Kidwell
Extensis

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back