Unusual font substitution

TRYYZ

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone would have an explanation for Indesign CS6 substituting some weird characters whenever an "il" or "io" was in a word side by each, have a look at the attached pdf and let me know what you think. These were substituted after changing some dashes to dots in a phone number on the file in CS6 then writing out to PDFx-4 from indesign, I have tried to recreate the issue to no avail, everything comes out as it should.

Attachments

• Unusual Substitution.pdf
    66.6 KB · Views: 209
No Fonts in that PDF because it is an IMAGE ONLY

No Fonts in that PDF because it is an IMAGE ONLY

The attached PDF file HAS NO FONTS.

See attached screen capture while using Enfocus PitStop Plug-in and examining the PDF file.

So, please do describe how you created this PDF, as it does not appear that you have done what you say you did in your post.

Attachments

• NoFonts.jpg
    NoFonts.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 192
That was just a screen shot to show what happened, Command,Shift,4 and Marquis the area, it was just to see if any one had seen it before.

Thanks

highlight your text, then on the upper right next to the lightning bolt icon is a menu, within that menu you may or may not have "ligatures" checked. Either way select it to check or uncheck it. This will probably fix your problem.

If not you can also try the "Open Type" selection just above "ligatures" and try turning stuff off that is checked.

I'm like 90% sure one of these options will help.

LOL - why would you share a screen capture - how can anyone possibly diagnose anything from THAT ?

Okay, well, what i was THINKING is that there was a original InDesign file, it was exported to PDF and the font was subset ( not all the glyphs from the font were embeded ) - then - that PDF was edited - ?

Or, the computer that was used to build the original InDesign doc was a different computer than the one that was used to do that edit ( and the fount was not the same ? ) - or - something else ? I would imagine one could not make a PDF/X-4 file without some warning ( which is what I was going to peek at the issue using Enfocus )

Sorry, can't help without looking at the PDF with the issue

Sounds like a ligature problem (since, it happens in "pairs" of characters). I agree with pacart, try switching ligatures off, and then re-output to pdf.
With ligatures switched on, InDesign will substitute "symbols" for a pair of characters to take up less room. Though, the usual occurrence would be with pairs of characters like "tt", "ff", etc.

-MailGuru

I did not see this one in time. I just posted a very similar issue in the Adobe thread.
We are seeing this more and more often. I believe it only started in CC INDD, but I could be wrong.

Yes it is a ligature issue. Person X on Mac XX will have the issue. Quit out of INDD, or sometimes do a font nuke...all better. Just SO intermittent. I can open the same file on the same mac the next day with zero issues.
I believe that INDD is substituting glyphs for ligatures. However, it is like the cache (??) is not being cleared out?
We have had to go to a "quit INDD after every single job and re-open" policy - and we are still having this issue.

michaeljahn - I am going to PM you a copy of a bad pdf from us. I am not posting as it is from a customer - and I don't have permission to do that.
I could go into Pitstop and remove some of the parts that show what customer - but that would mess with the integrity of the file you are getting.

1. File came out of INDD CC - most up to date version
2. File creates a 1.7 PDF X4a (I think??)
3. Fonts are embedded 100 percent. No subset in my shop

We have been doing a LOT of testing on this. So far, our hypothesis is this - there is corruption occurring in imported text form Microsoft Word. In every single case, we have tracked down to find that text got imported from Word at some point. Sometimes, there is a style sheet. Sometimes not.

Who can we contact at Adobe to help us with this?

@KaiserWilhelm - Sorry - but i am pretty sure Adobe can't fix crappy MS Word issues. Either turn ligatures off or stop using MS Word.

Unfortunately, my customers use Word all the time.
Here is the issue.
I am quite positive this started with CC.
We have never had this problem with previous versions of Indesign.

My question is this - WHO can we bring this up to? How do we get this before Adobe for them to look into?

Unfortunately, my customers use Word all the time.
Here is the issue.
I am quite positive this started with CC.
We have never had this problem with previous versions of Indesign.

My question is this - WHO can we bring this up to? How do we get this before Adobe for them to look into?

I would share with Leonard Rosenthol and Dov Isaacs - but I just because older versions of Adobe applications gracefully dealt with Microsoft Word ( which version BTW !? ) horrible & crappy type / font constructs in Microsoft code - does not mean that Adobe CC would.

I doubt very much that Adobe suddenly dumbed down some Word import tool, more likely that the Word version might be ancient .

Try posting it here

Adobe

be SURE to have an example word file and InDesign file that shows the issue ( they can't investigate without that )

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back