unwanted PDF background tint with EFI/Heidelberg Linoprint

discountprinting

I have a 4 page newsletter provided by a client who used Canva to do the design layout. The file looks normal on screen with a white background and no apparent background color data. I pre-flighted the file and assigned it a US Sheetfed Uncoated profile and there was a very noticeable off white/ivory background image. I reverted back to the original PDF file and then processed it as a sRGB file instead of CMYK. Same result. I applied the suggested fixes in pre-flight with both attempts. Scratching my head on this?
Thanks,
John
DPS

Can you share the file?
Sounds color management related

Last edited:
I think the problem is Canva itself! It is informal and design-heavy but totally inappropriate for anything that needs to be accurately printed.

All content in a Canva document is RGB with absolutely no color management, i.e. DeviceRGB. There is no concept of gray or CMYK or any flavour.

When you download a “print” PDF file, all content is DeviceRGB. Black is DeviceRGB=(0,0,0) and white is DeviceRGB=(255,255,255). To make matters worse, even a “blank” page has an edge to edge color of DeviceRGB=(0,0,0). (You can confirm this with the Object Inspector tool within Output Preview in Adobe Acrobat Pro. That is probably where the problem is. Your RIP / DFE is making some assumption as to what colorspace the DeviceRGB really is, perhaps sRGB? And it is converting sRGB to whatever CMYK profile you are assuming, such as SWOP. In such a conversion, RGB=(255,255,255) does not necessarily convert to CMYK=(0,0,0,0).

There are two solutions possible here, both kludgy:

(1) Use the edit tools in Acrobat to totally remove the RGB “white” background object if that is the only “white” that you are dealing with.

(2) Use Acrobat Preflight to convert any vector or text RGB=(0,0,0) to Gray=(0) or CMYK=(0,0,0,1) and RGB=(255,255,255) to Gray=(1). You may need to create a custom fixup (as I have personally done in the past for this). This would also convert rich blacks to pure black (i.e., K-only).

Good luck. Note that neither Canva nor the newly released Adobe Create Cloud Express software are really setup for any serious printing but rather, for amateur-hour, quick and dirty designs for those who really aren't particular about output quality. This may change in the future, but for the time being, print service providers would be best advised to caution customers away from these “cheap” but problematic design tools.

- Dov

When you open the Canva generated PDF, and - in Adobe Acrobat Pro - if you (1) open the Print Production tool - then (2) click on Output Preview - is (3) Simulate Paper Color checked ON ?

1646336777984.png

I have a 4 page newsletter provided by a client who used Canva to do the design layout. The file looks normal on screen with a white background and no apparent background color data. I pre-flighted the file and assigned it a US Sheetfed Uncoated profile and there was a very noticeable off white/ivory background image. I reverted back to the original PDF file and then processed it as a sRGB file instead of CMYK. Same result. I applied the suggested fixes in pre-flight with both attempts. Scratching my head on this?
Thanks,
John
DPS
I've had similar issues with jpegs in pdfs. Bring into photoshop and adjust the midtones down. Usually works for me. No promises. :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back