upgrade Tiger to Snow Leopard

RVNG

I have an older mac (10.4.11, 2x2.66 Ghz Dual Core Intel w/2 GB RAM) and with Adobe CS5 out now, I will need to upgrade to snow leopard...

my question is: will bringing this machine up to 10.6 be smart or am I in for trouble? Has anyone had any experience upgrading OSX over old hardware?

Thanks,
RG

upgrade . .. .

upgrade . .. .

I have the same hardware and am in the progress of upgrading now . .. I am doing it in steps from 10.4x to 10.58 currently . . . noticed a couple of issues mostly minor networking fixes and printer pre-sets in InDesign needing to be fixed but nothing out of the ordinary or disastrous yet been running it for a couple of days now and will be going to 10.6 next week . . . CS5 is getting installed today since it will run on 10.5x

good luck

Thanks dabob,

Quick question(s):

Do you need to use the original 10.4 discs at all during the upgrade? (Mine are lost)
What discs did you order to do the upgrade? I think I would also like to go baby steps to 10.5 first.

Thanks,
RG

upgrade . ..

upgrade . ..

Didn't need them since the system was 10.4 . . . I used a Leopard upgrade disk I had for my Intel Imac I had at home and baby steps are a good idea from my point of view and if you do it this way you can save over a hundred bucks by not having to buy the Box Set to up grade you can just get the snow leopard disk for about 30 bucks

have fun

10.4 to 10.6 is no big deal. I would just bite the bullet and do it in one step. Unless you have a lot of free time to install 10.5, then do the 10.6, then do all the updates to 10.6.4 (roughly 1.25 gigs of updates). Should take you about 6-8 hours, give or take. YMMV...Depending on your internet connection speed.

my .02

I wasn't brave enough to upgrade my Tiger to SnowLeopard. Instead I added a second HD and installed SL on it., and I'm glad I did. While it can be a hassle to reboot to switch OS, I'm sure its less of a hassle than going whole hog with the upgrade and finding out it broke your system.

I have an older mac (10.4.11, 2x2.66 Ghz Dual Core Intel w/2 GB RAM) and with Adobe CS5 out now, I will need to upgrade to snow leopard...

my question is: will bringing this machine up to 10.6 be smart or am I in for trouble? Has anyone had any experience upgrading OSX over old hardware?

Thanks,
RG

I'd add more ram if at all possible. 4 GB would be my minimum while 8 GB would be ideal. CS5 needs all it can get. Other than that you should be good to go.

There can be some issues, especially if you are using a pc server on your network. Fonts reading zeroK and other files seemingly corrupt. Here is a link to solve that issue if you are experiencing it. Mac OS X v10.5, v10.6: About named streams on SMB-mounted NAS, Mac OS X, and Windows servers; "-36" or "-50" alerts may appear Also, you may have some difficulty with network printers. We still have a machine running 10.4, so I turned printer sharing on and linked up that way.

No other major problems that I've come across. Knock on wood.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back