UV Coating & Lamination

arossetti

Can you laminate on top of UV coating? Don't ask why I know its duplication efforts but I still need to know.

Thanks.

Like foil stamping, you would have to try it. But, depending on the type of UV coating, it could be too "slimy" for the film to adhere. UV coatings contain monomers, oligomers, initiators, and a material called a "synergist". This last is sometimes an amine, especially in the lower cost UV coatings. Amines are slimy, like surfactants, and would not bode well for laminating film.
Try it, and let it set for a day or two, and see if it bubbles and "unlaminates."
One more thing, there's thermal laminating and cold laminating. Cold laminating is like pressure sensitive adhesive used to laminate plastics. This might work better, but costs a lot more.
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

We have had to laminate on top of UV coating several times. After much experimenting, we used our hot lamination, turned up temperature, approx. 350-375, and it seems to stick alright. But, my preference is not to do it. Either lamination or UV but not both. Haven't tried it with our cold laminator yet so cant help there. Good luck.

I'm curious to know when this type of application would actually be necessary. Can anyone shed some light on why you've had to laminate on top of UV coating before? The only thing I can think of is to help prevent cracking while folding and the piece has already been UV coated.

The only reason that we have done it is when a customer first requested UV and then on delivery of the job decided that maybe they wanted Lamination instead. Gotta love em.

I am planning to buy a Spot UV which can do flood UV too. It has curing system. Definitely not Aqueous based. now the problem is currently I m offering my clients all the business cards with either matt or gloss lamination. but after I get the UV machine i will offer business cards with matt or gloss UV. My concern whether or not as a look do the easily noticeable??? i have sample on gloss uv and compared with gloss lamination, which looks pretty same and you can defer them only by tear them. i don't / never seen matt UV, therefore asking if they look same (99% would do) or nearly 90% same look?

another strait question, whether i can sell them (UV) by saying UV MATT / GLOSS LAMINATED business card or just MATT / GLOSS LAMINATED business card?
Edit/Delete Message

I am planning to buy a Spot UV which can do flood UV too. It has curing system. Definitely not Aqueous based. now the problem is currently I m offering my clients all the business cards with either matt or gloss lamination. but after I get the UV machine i will offer business cards with matt or gloss UV. My concern whether or not as a look do the easily noticeable??? i have sample on gloss uv and compared with gloss lamination, which looks pretty same and you can defer them only by tear them. i don't / never seen matt UV, therefore asking if they look same (99% would do) or nearly 90% same look?

another strait question, whether i can sell them (UV) by saying UV MATT / GLOSS LAMINATED business card or just MATT / GLOSS LAMINATED business card?
Edit/Delete Message

It all depends on the matte product that you're using. You should test out a couple different coatings and see if you're getting the gloss level that you're looking for. Often times the main difference between a coating and laminating film appearance wise is the texture. Because the coating is a liquid it will have a little bit more of a grain to it than the matte films out there. One product that will get you a gloss level of around 15 is Henkel's Matte 2020E (may be called 2020D now).

The UV coating has to be wax-free, like the foil stampable UV coating, to be laminable in my humble opinion. Tell your UV coating manufacturer about your special requirements and request lab. work to prove their claim before you spent many hours on your expensive press. They wil have to use the same substrates and the same laminants and same process. Perhaps they can supply you with a wax free and regular UV coating on top of KCMY ink on an 8.5X11 sheet and you can laminate it to see if there is a difference.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back