UV coating over Digital?

Not sure which machine it'll be coming off of, but probably the iGen or Nexpress. What is the fusion oils? Just asking because I'm sure once I've attempted this and succeeded, the sales dept will want to try more! Lol!

We have a Graphic Wizard UV coater. I have only been successful coating prints from 1 out of our 3 digital machines and another shops prints from an HP Indigo. We have a KM 5200 and Xerox 252 that I cannot coat. Our Xerox 700 coats no problem. We are using the "digital coating". Graphic Wizard did come in to our shop to look at our machine, and told me we needed another uv lamp (600w) in addition to the one already in place (300w). The machine already had the proper wiring and receptacle in place. Had the new bulb installed last week and my first test prints from the KM were no better than before. Back to square one I guess :( So I guess my answer to you is it depends on what coater you get and what specific machines you will be using. I recommend that you send lots of samples from all of your machines to be coated before buying anything.

Last edited:
Oil fuser machines require a different coating material than the high-temp toner counterparts. Be sure to use the one formulated to the substrate.

I'm not sold on the additional lamp idea =) If anything that might over-cure it, no?

For the record we're using TEC coating 2709 for our KM 6500 and it works well for our needs.

We OFTEN UV coat offline within minutes of printing on our IGEN 3. Fuser oils and all. They say to wait 72 hours for most finishing operations (esp. binding) for the oil to 'dissipate', but we use a quality Kelstar coating in an FMA coater with excellent results.

The first step is to determine what type of Digital output you are dealing with. While coating there are three to consider. 1. Digital ink (HP Indigo) 2. Toner (Xerox & Ricoh) 3. Wax based toner (Konica & Canon). The first two should be quite simple to coat with most UV coaters and a quality digital UV fluid. If the first two are problematic 98% of the time it can be solved with a different coating. The third tends to be the challenge. The challenge is due to the wax in the toner repelling the coating. This can be overcome by changing the surface tension of the toner with the introduction of heat (IR lamps prior to the curing of the coating). You must also use a UV coating specifically designed with high flow, high adhesion characteristics. Many times it is misdiagnosed as poor curing. It is simply a bonding issue that a more powerful UV lamp can not fix.

Tec Lighting offers both UV coaters and the coating that are guaranteed to work with any digital output.

Hondrra9, i have a UV coating that may help you run KM.

Please excuse my simplistic approach to the different types of ink and toner, i'm sure its more complex however not in regards to applying coating.

Daniel
714-529-5068

We have no problems UV coating output from our Xerox DC-7000 & DC-252. We have a TecLighting unit & use their recommended material. Finished product looks terrific.

Dave

We have a KM C655 pro (oce) and we have looked at many UV coaters. The one we have settled on is the Drytac. It is designed around the wax based toners. The key is the IR heaters and not the UV lamps. You need to preheat the toner before coating. Duplo has a machine that works, too, but very expensive.

Different toners like different coatings. Speak with your coating rep for the one that suits your output device, but as halmac says, IR does help, since it softens the toner and helps coating adhesion. Several coater manufacturers are using it very successfully.

If you're looking for a lower gloss, aqueous works well. Call Kompac, their machine does priming, aqueous and UV. It also has a UV/Air dryer for prepping toner and drying the water based coating.

Tape Test / Coating Compatibility

Tape Test / Coating Compatibility

The tape pull test is your best bet on several sheets before doing the entire print run. This is the best way to tell if you have a compatible toner and coating. If it comes off, contact your coating supplier for something that adheres.

Indigo coating that passes tape pull

Indigo coating that passes tape pull

Can anyone recommend a gloss UV coating that will pass a tape pull test on prints from an Indigo 7500? A glueable coating would be even better but I'm not sure that such an animal exists.

thanks

UV Coating - HP Indigo

UV Coating - HP Indigo

Call UV Specialties, (630) 543-1110. They make coatings for several UV coater manufacturers. You can also call the manufacturer of your coater for assistance.

For those who dont have a TecLighting machine/supplies, Henkel offers additives and UV Coatings that works on any UV Coater machine.

The product its call Miracure, and you can find more information about it here:

Miracure® - Brands - Henkel

We use a company that have an off line UV coater and they can coat prints from Xerox 252, 700, iGen, Canon ImageRunners and ImagePress with Henkel products.

Hopefully this info works for you.

JRT

We sell a high gloss glue able coating, part number TEC152G.This coating will pass both test. Tec Lighting Inc. 714-715-5868
Can anyone recommend a gloss UV coating that will pass a tape pull test on prints from an Indigo 7500? A glueable coating would be even better but I'm not sure that such an animal exists.

thanks

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back