UV Coating Question

viclpp

We are new to UV and we just did some test runs and were very happy about it drying on time. But when we compared it to someone else work it didn't look as glossy nor as thick. I am using H&B anilox coater system. The roller itself is about 13 bcm? or is it dcm? UV coating is called ULTRA SHEEN UV-9273. Is it usually the coating that would make it thicker and glossier? or what would cause it to be not glossy? i am running two pass right now. first pass process with primer then uv coating on the second pass.

Thanks,
Victor

Victor,

1.) What line anilox are you running (60,80,120, ect)? I would recommend either a 60 or 80 line. The lower the better.

2.) How long are you letting the ink and coating dry before you send it back through to UV coat? You need to wait at the very least 24-hours but 48-hours is preferrable to allow for adequate ink drying.

Both of the above will effect the gloss of the finished piece.
Regards,
Bob

Like Bob implied, your anilox roller will determine how much coating you can lay down. But 13 bcm should be fine. We use a 9 bcm with excellent results.

Depending on how your press is configured and how demanding your production schedules are, you can also let the coating spread a little longer before the lamps hit it. Running slower always seems to produce a higher gloss.

Also, we heat our UV coating to 115 degrees fahrenheit for better gloss and stir constantly.

There are blankets that help increase gloss levels too.

Last edited:
i am using an 80 line anilox roller. When we did the test, it was just some test sheet that has been sitting there for like 5 days, is it possible that it could be the uv coating? I told me rep about the problem we are having and they said they are going to give us a higher viscosity. so i believe it wouldn't be the anilox roller correct? what kind of blanket should i use? i also mention that to our rep and he is getting me some information.

I appreciate you guys help!

Thanks,
Victor

We are new to UV and we just did some test runs and were very happy about it drying on time. But when we compared it to someone else work it didn't look as glossy nor as thick. I am using H&B anilox coater system. The roller itself is about 13 bcm? or is it dcm? UV coating is called ULTRA SHEEN UV-9273. Is it usually the coating that would make it thicker and glossier? or what would cause it to be not glossy? i am running two pass right now. first pass process with primer then uv coating on the second pass.

Thanks,
Victor

Victor,
My name is Domenic Direnzo, I have been a UV supplier for more than 20 years. I would like to help you but I would need more details to try and help your issue. The best way is if you can call me at 508-353-3650 on my cell. Please do this before this Thursday because I will be making a change and this phone number will not be avaiable any long.

Thanks,
Domenic

13 BCM! Second pass! Your company should invest in a few more lamps and get that done in one pass. Gloss is also effected by dwell time. What UV system do you have? how fast are you runnining the press? Also throw some IR lamp on it to help with the flow out........

Solution for UV coating

Solution for UV coating

Victor,

You're achieving full cure though not happy with the depth of gloss, I'm aware of the product you're using and I would recommend a higher viscosity/gloss UV coating. FYI, we offer a high gloss UV coating that would meet your needs and it's ODOR FREE. It's environmentally-friendly and pressman-friendly. Please let me know if we may be of assistance.

Regards,

James
Welcome To Rhino Performance Products
866-601-6241

Victor,

There are two methods of UV coating, as you may or may not know. In some instances, many people find themselves comparing a sample that was screen UV coated and your only ability inhouse is roller UV coating. You can lay a lot more with screen than roller and mantain a better lay.

By in large, majority of your Gloss UV coatings have a similar gloss values. The major difference between one UV coated piece and another is the sheen and the lay of the coating on the substrate affected by the device utilized.

Regardless of the BCM, you may never be able to lay the same amount as a screen if you're not comparing apples to apples. I get this quite a bit as we manufacture UV coatings.

Any way for you to find out how it was applied before you pull your hair out? A double pass of the sheet just doesn't seem cost effective

Best Regards,

when i get back to the shop and run some more test with a different type of blanket and also different uv coating i will let you know how it goes. I don't think i am comparing it to a screen uv coating equipment, the company we are comparing to does inline uv coating on a komori. what kind of blankets should i use? I was told to use a polyester metal back blanket? or is it a plate? Just trying to get an opinion on this.

Thanks,
Victor

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back