UV ink causes dermatitis?

ripic80

I am trying to detrmine the cause of a recurring case of dermatitis that I have, which I believe to be connected to the introduction of UV ink in my area.
I have splotchy red spots on my face, a bumpy red rash on my arms and neck, and my hands are a real mess. However, I do not work with UV ink at all; rather, a press about 60 feet behind mine runs it. At first i was the only one with this reaction. Now, the pressman running that press is starting to get rashes on a few spots, although he never touches the ink either. And the kicker is, a new guy in shipping and receiving now has identical rash to me, and he's not even in the area.
So I wonder, does UV ink actually mist that much? Can it be something to do with the air circulation? We don't have any sort of hood fans over the press or any other way to vent the inks, other than the stock dryers. I read a lot about the mist and such, but I cannot find anything about distances. Also, what is a good way to test the air, as whatever is causing this clearly is airborne?
I have been patch tested, but it was the uncured, wet ink. I had no reaction, and the manager at work was told by the ink vendor that the patch test would show a reaction. But since I don't trust salesmen as far as I can throw them, I wonder if my basic college chemistry thinking is correct - some sort of compound releases when the ink hits both the heater and substrate, some sort of chemical reaction that sends a volatile compund in the air?
I am pretty sure that I am now sensitized to whatever it is. I just need to know what the cause is, so that I can avoid it permanently, even if it means looking for a new job.

Last edited:
It could be any chemical that you use, I started to get it years ago from using developer to dev plates by hand. Now any chemical reacts to my skin, I cant even go in public swimming pools anymore as I end up covered in a itchy red rash. Make sure you use as much protection as possible barrier creams, gloves etc.

A

Have the UV wash checked and if the press is equipped with a coater unit get yourself checked out to see if you are reacting to the coating. Hoods are highly recommended for UV inks/washes as close to the top of the ink fountains/roller train as you can get without interfering with wash ups etc. Have your company perform a 'smoke pen test', generate some smoke near the UV press and see where your buildings air handling system moves it to, could be that all the fumes are being moved to your area.

Now, more people are getting this rash. A prt time guy nowhere near the presses has the same thing. A Customer Service lady is concerned too, since she works in my press area, and is nursing her daughter. Is there any paperwork on respiratory problems that can affect babies through their mother's milk? Several people have voiced the concern, that if it's doing this to our skin, it's certainly got to be doing something egregious to our lungs. And if the woman nursing passes it onto her baby, what can it be doing to the baby?
Is this too far out of the realm of possibility?

I have heard of and seen these reactions to direct / in direct contact with UV inks. Some UV inks do mist at high press speeds. The misting will be even more severe with improperly set rollers.

I recommend that you obtain copies of the MSDS sheets for the UV inks, coatings, and washes being used on the presses as they will proved you with the info you are looking for.

When we installed our first UV cured inkjet a field engineer from the manufacturer who came to service the printer developed hives when he worked on the machine. He tried wearing a face mask with a filter but it didn't help. He ended up not able to work on UV machines. I had one employee whose eyes watered when she worked near the UV inkjet who we moved out of the department. Both of these seemed to be more of an allergic reaction rather than a reaction to a toxic chemical. I would check the MSDS but I doubt you are at risk of injury, just allergic.

Anytime I work near any of our UV inks or UV coaters I break out in hives. I do my best to stay away but not always possible, and when I dont, I pay the price.

I am working temporarily at our sister company, whose busy season is opposite of my department's. It is all digital printing, so I am curious to see when/how quickly my skin will clear up. Just being in finishing this week has helped, as well as the prednisone the allergist gave me. But this worked the last two times as well, and as soon as I was back in the area, no prednisone, it came back to some degree or other.
The ink salesmen deny knowing of these reactions - big surprise - but an anilox guy told the one who actually works on the press that he sees it all the time.

I haven't heard or seen this before and we have many UV presses in our buildings. I would first suspect the skin problems to be more related to chemicals in use in your building before the inks.....especially since the problem is so widespread.

All inks will mist slightly at very high press speeds but UV inks are no more likely to do this than conventional inks.

As has already been suggested, a thorough check of all your MSDS sheets may pinpoint the problem.

I hope that you get better soon.

Msds

Msds

I would assume you have looked at the MSDS sheets for the inks and wash.

It is important that you look for the keyword « sensitizer» this denotes a product that causes an allergic reaction. Dermatitis is an allergic reaction.

Tamale

I would check out bestchemsupply their products work with UV and conventional inks. The TF sheetfed fountain solution virtually eliminates UV ink misting. They have 2 washups that work with all inks. I have seen these products in action on sheetfed and web and was totally amazed. One of the presses I witnessed was a 1968 Hantscho web. The press operators said they had a an instant reduction in ink usage just by changing to the BestChem T web fountain solution.
I have seen the MSDS sheets. As far as I know there is nothing that compares for clean chemistry. I think these products would be a big help in reducing or elinimating your dermatitis.

Last edited:
Uv help !

Uv help !

Yes YES YES!!!!

UV can cause a rash , or other skin effects. Some people are more sensitive to it than others but it should not effect safety procedures .

I have been around UV since day 1 at Sun Chemical and replaced solvent coatings. The UV is much improved from then. My concern is that cheaper raw materials may be more harsh than domestic suppliers.
I will say it again for the 10 thousanth time any idiot can pic out the cheapest price for coating !!
Most do.
Anyone here of drayage (spelling?) does your salesmen even know the term ? a test for skin reaction.
Mileage , some UV coatings can yield 20% more sheets.
I could go on and I usually do.
THE ANSWERS:
USE A UV SKIN CREAM FOR PROTECTION ! I can get some to you.
Second you can try other coating or inks I can help with the coatings

Curtis 909) 539-3701

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back