UV or not to UV - that is the question

Whygen

Know there has been some previous recommendations ref UV coaters for digital sheetfed machines but there now seems to be a plethora of different machines out there and I wondered if anybody could recommend one from personal experience. I have details on the Drytac machines - which appear to be the same as the machine that Morgana sells(looks like Morgana may just rebrand them?). I also have details on the "Graphic Wizard" machines and the ones from "Kisun" which Encore sell and support. We run a few different presses here but predominently KM's with the polymerised toners (which I know makes a difference to how the UV must be cured?). There have been recommendations for the "Tec Lighting" machines on previous threads but they dont appear to be sold or supported here in the Uk? Any suugestions would be appreciated

Know there has been some previous recommendations ref UV coaters for digital sheetfed machines but there now seems to be a plethora of different machines out there and I wondered if anybody could recommend one from personal experience. I have details on the Drytac machines - which appear to be the same as the machine that Morgana sells(looks like Morgana may just rebrand them?). I also have details on the "Graphic Wizard" machines and the ones from "Kisun" which Encore sell and support. We run a few different presses here but predominently KM's with the polymerised toners (which I know makes a difference to how the UV must be cured?). There have been recommendations for the "Tec Lighting" machines on previous threads but they dont appear to be sold or supported here in the Uk? Any suugestions would be appreciated

FYI the Tec Lighting machines are now sold in the UK by Foliant. I had a chat and it seems like Tec Lighting take the US prices, add 25% and then replace the US$ sign with a GB£, so the cheapest hand fed option is £15K ($23K). Looks like we're still "Treasure Island"!

Thanks Ifelton,

Appreciate the advice - the Tec lighting looks a good little unit. Just need to see if it works with the wax-based toners. The USA/GB price thing does annoy me. It seems we are always charged more over here - I also feel that genrally most bits of digital kit are overpriced here. I know the sellers/re-sellers have to make their money but I think in the US the cost is lower for the hardware and they make their money on the fact that they sell more of them as barrier to entry is lower and they also make their money on the consumables.

Moan finished :0)

A bit off topic, but I get the same pricing problem but in reverse with Watkiss, so don't feel bad!

I have a TecLighting UV Coater and am very pleased! I have not had one issue with it since install.

I have the same problem in reverse with a German Software Company... Today's conversion show the price should be about $300/seat cheaper than the "US" price. :(. At least you are not alone....

Jerod

I have a graphic wizard crease master plus, and I would not suggest buying any of their products. Poor build quality, horrible customer service - I'm pretty sure these things are put together in side someones garage.

uv

uv

might be worth checking the one sold by Duplo, saw it at IPEX looked to be the best at the show. Feeder was good

Thanks guys, looks like we're not alone in the UK with our pricing issues....appreciate the feedback on the uv coaters - havent seen the Duplo unit yet so will check it out - just realised that i'll probably need a PUR to bind uv coated sheets...?

I have a Tec Lighting UV coater and it is great! The toner based UV coating is the actual coating by the manufacturer, it has nothing to do with the actual coater itself... our UV coating is from Nicoat. We use it on HP Indigo sheets as well as we coat sheets from Xerox 6060 and iGen sheets for other printers as well.

At my shop we don't do much UV so we got the DUPLO unit and it's been great to us so far.

Like they mentioned before the feeder is great but it has a hard time with lightweight stocks (anything less than 140gsm will require a little more setup time).

I probably put about 30k sheets through it a month and it's been solid since day one.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back