UV Varnish microns to gsm

vmarda

Hey guys wondering if you could help me convert uv varnish coating thickness from microns to gsm as this would help me in my costing when giving quotes.

Thanks in advance

Hey guys wondering if you could help me convert uv varnish coating thickness from microns to gsm as this would help me in my costing when giving quotes.

Thanks in advance

This should be what you need.

gsm/sg = thickness in microns

where sg is the specific gravity of the coating material.

Specific gravity is relative to water. Water would have a specific gravity of 1.

So if you coating would have a higher density than water the sg would be greater than 1. If the coating is less dense than water, the sg would be less than 1.

As an example. A coating that had a sg of 1 in the above equation would have a thickness of 1 micron if the gsm was equal to 1.

Another example. A coating that has a sg of 0.9, the gsm = 1.2 then the thickness would be,

1.2/0.9 = 1.33 microns

To get gsm then use,

thickness in microns x sg = gsm

Hope this helps and I hope I got my math right. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
E=mc2, thanks Erik.

vmarda, see your other post for a much more practical answer, that may better help you.

Blanket or anilox?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back