v2100 upgrade to v3100 worth it?

BigSi

Hi there.

Any feed back on this would be appreciated. Desperately need a back up machine. (Techs can be very slow turning up). Currently running a Fuji Xerox V2100. (yes I know, old)
My budget only really allows for a v180 or a v3100. (unfortunately my budget won't stretch to a v3100i) The feeling I'm getting is the v180 would be a sideways move. Yes a newer machine but not really much difference in performance/quality wise to my old v2100. On the plus side about 65% the price of the V3100. If I purchased a V3100 my V2100 would become my back up machine. The question is would I notice much of a difference in performance/quality with the V3100?
I'm talking registration/solids here. Not so worried about speed. (I have an offset press).
Unfortunately I have to stick with a Xerox machine. Need the same engine as my V2100. (for obvious reasons).

Any thoughts are appreciated. ta Simon

There is no difference between the V2100 and the V3100. The only difference is going to be the DFE and the ability to do long sheets.

I went from the V2100 where I updated the DFE to do long sheets (not officially supported) to the V3100. The way I see it, it was a mistake as I had more trouble with the V3100 than I did with the V2100.

DYP isn't quite right in his answer. The V3100 also has better finishing capabilities than the 2100. Thats why we ended up getting a 3100. The "Xerox brand" finishing is a lot more robust and can handle more capacity. So here's what the 3100 does better in finishing:
-Doesnt slow down when running booklets. Or at least it runs VERY close to rated speed. were talking 1-2spm slower if that
-In line 2 sided trimming. It has really made things nice being able to finish a booklet inline and just throwing it in the box.
-Booklet maker will handle 120 page booklets on 50lb. I've done it with 70lb gloss and fooling the machine. Squarefolder makes the books lie extremely flat. I would always opt for the square fold unit.

So that's what the V3100 has to offer over the 2100. Now if you finish offline then all these points will be moot.

Would your budget allow for a V180i (V280)? There were improvements made that will give you better registration front to back especially on heavy stock. Not as fast as the v3100 but it gives you a comparable backup if your v2100 is down and the click rate should be better than a used v3100. You could also use the V180i to take some work off the v2100 until you can upgrade.

For the shop I used to work for before retiring, the savings on the click charges between the V2100 and the V3100 made it a no-brainer. It actually paid the lease payment on the V3100 and some left over. Kind of like getting the machine for free. But, that was when the V3100 first came out. Perhaps the click charge savings on the V4100 is the same?

I believe all vendors are having supply chain issues with their consumables right now. And, even if you can get the consumables, it's hard to get the paper to print it on. It's getting bad out there.....................Glad I retired................

I am honestly surprised people are still sticking with Xerox with the issues they are having.
So your answer is to buy two new machines from a different vendor?

Remember not everyone is hit as bad with Xerox supplies, I believe OP is New Zealand?

So your answer is to buy two new machines from a different vendor?

I have done this in the past, yes. I had a xerox 700 and 700i, Ricoh came in and replaced them with 2 7110's and was CHEAPER and the service was better, so it can be done with a contract buyout, look at all the available options is what I am saying, don't feel like you are locked down.

I have done this in the past, yes. I had a xerox 700 and 700i, Ricoh came in and replaced them with 2 7110's and was CHEAPER and the service was better, so it can be done with a contract buyout, look at all the available options is what I am saying, don't feel like you are locked down.
Yes I know it can be done but your situation was two full time machines needing to be replaced with two new full time machines.
The op is only looking to upgrade his single full time machine at limited expense while keeping the second as a backup.
Both financially and operationally different scenarios.

Hi there.

Any feed back on this would be appreciated. Desperately need a back up machine. (Techs can be very slow turning up). Currently running a Fuji Xerox V2100. (yes I know, old)
My budget only really allows for a v180 or a v3100. (unfortunately my budget won't stretch to a v3100i) The feeling I'm getting is the v180 would be a sideways move. Yes a newer machine but not really much difference in performance/quality wise to my old v2100. On the plus side about 65% the price of the V3100. If I purchased a V3100 my V2100 would become my back up machine. The question is would I notice much of a difference in performance/quality with the V3100?
I'm talking registration/solids here. Not so worried about speed. (I have an offset press).
Unfortunately I have to stick with a Xerox machine. Need the same engine as my V2100. (for obvious reasons).

Any thoughts are appreciated. ta Simon
We added a Canon 810 as a backup machine for our two Xerox 2100s in December and we've been happy with it. It was less expensive and the click charges were less so if you have decent canon service in your area I would consider them. The machine is slightly slower but the slowness for our shop at least is far made up for in quality, less downtime and overall less stress involved. As a backup machine it's a good option.

I am honestly surprised people are still sticking with Xerox with the issues they are having.
No issues in this part of the world. (New Zealand). FYI Xerox sold to Fuji Film, so not really Xerox any more.

Thanks guys. All very useful information. Yes the v180i (v280) might be an option. I tend to do all my finishing offline. (better for so many reasons). Yes I'm in New Zealand, no major supply issues here so far.
Another concern is the fiery side of things. My fiery is getting very old on my v2100,. windows 7:-( Yes could look at Ricoh or KM, but I'd be surprised if it worked out $$$ wise as I would have to get two machines. Canon production machines not really a go in this part of the world. Just could get the cheapest v180 I can, hold on for a couple of years and get rid of both at the same time. (this will be when my V2100 lease runs out). One thing I love about the v2100 (which a v180 does not have) is the auto alignment (full widtharay?) .
thanks Simon

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back