Variable Data Cut and Stack Imposition - 5 Up

jbodine74

I recently had a variable data job, 3769 records, that needed to be imposed 5 Up on a 20x14 sheet (I know, 5 up! Very Odd). I needed it to cut and stack in groups of 754. We use FP Imposer and FusionPro and there is now way to accomplish this.
1. I ended up running the data only through Preps 5, 5 up cut and stack, resulting in 754 pages
2. Then imposed just the color 5 up, 2 pages
3. I used Enfocus Pitstop to paste in my front color behind the all the data on 754 pages
4. I duplicated the common back page 754 times using Quite Imposing Page Tools
5. Then used Quite Imposing to shuffle the odds from the data side file and the evens from the common back file.
Resulting in a 1508 page pdf file for our Nexpress
I have looked high and low for a way to do this. I found some InDesign scripts that just took forever to run. I downloaded a couple apps from the Mac App Store, Fit Pilot and Imposition Studio. I couldn't find a way in any of these.
Does anyone know a way to do this very odd variable data imposition?
SEE ATTACHED PDF SAMPLE

Attachments

• Sample 5up Impo.pdf
    17.6 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
The “Dutch Cut” of course makes this harder for simpler imposition apps. Kodak Preps and other high end apps don’t have these limitations. I’ll try to kick this around when I have some spare time. How often do you do these sorts of jobs?

Stephen Marsh

Thanks for looking into it. We never do jobs this way. Everyone knows we can't. They wanted to save paper. I understand. But I stressed we couldn't do this and that it would take a lot of effort to figure it out. I made it work but I spent over 6 hours trying to accomplish it. FP Imposer and FusionPro are what we use and it is so fast. It just doesn't do manual imposition.

Wouldn't 4 up on a smaller sheet have been more economic in time and materials? I know it's more clicks but the trade off seems worth it.

I hate to sound like a commercial but Jet Letter's PSL Page Builder could handle this job straight out of the box. N-Up layouts are automated and include Dutch Cuts.

I have a job coming up soon, and I run imposition through Hot Folders. Is a dutch cut possible? Also, while we are on this topic, is there any way to rearrange your HotFolders menu so that I can put all of my business card HF's together?

For automated Dutch cut (5-up) and optimized gang run impositions (optimization based on jobs page sizes and quantity ordered), we offer Impostrip Automation. Free trial licences are available. If you want to know more, contact me directly via email.
Ray Duval
Ultimate TechnoGraphics
raymond @ imposition . com

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back