Variable Data

rsands

i hear alot of people saying they fill their machines with vdp but we dont run any vdp and never been asked for it from any large firms. Whats the trick in companies using this?

i hear people print invoices...why would someone outsource invoicing to a print firm?

our machines are running the normal leaflets, bus cards, etc in short runs

hi I think you need to join podi.org to understand fully what VDP is all about. Outsource invoices and statement printing to printer are call "Transactional printing" it totally different from VDP. Just like VDP you need to have IT people to understand and program the data.

Hope this will help you understand a bit more.

God Bless
Daniel Goh

VD printing has so many applications. I used to use printshop mail, and did health insurance cards. I have also done hundreds of VD mailers. You print the addresses on the postcard/newsletter the same time it is printed. A lot of people that do their own mailers use labels and when we told them about addressing they find it unbelieveable! Just take a look at some of the mail you get a lot of it is personalized. But you must have a good rip to handle all of the data. My former employer made hundreds of thousands with VD!

thanks for the replies....podi has some interesting case studies. its getting in contact with the right people about showing them VD, etc at its best and transactional printing. Seems hard to convinve a company that outsourcing stuff like this could save them, etc?

The original question seems to be a case of the chicken and the egg. No one walks into McDonalds asking for Chinese food. Does McDonalds therefore assume there is no demand for Chinese food?
The printing industry is changing. The customer that wants his postcard mailed may still come into the printer to ask for postcards to be printed. Just taking a print order the printer assumes no one is asking for VDP.
Printers must take the initiative to understand his customers needs. Without offering the postcard customer the option of increasing his ROI with a more personalized postcard, neither the customer nor the printer benefit.
Check out my website. digitalformattingservices.com

thanks for the replies....podi has some interesting case studies. its getting in contact with the right people about showing them VD, etc at its best and transactional printing. Seems hard to convinve a company that outsourcing stuff like this could save them, etc?

Here is one simple way we have sold it: Find a customer, probably an existing account, who does postcards. Show them some sample of cards printed instead of labeled, but also add in some personalized data to the sample - a greeting, an offer addressing the addressee by first name, maybe even a different image corresponding to something in the database. Does not have to be anything extravagant. Then present them with the fact that they are paying a huge overhead to have office help label and stamp the postcards. There is no "trick", it is simple math - you are set up to do something automated that they have to pay manual labor to do. We have only had a small handful of clients not want to try this out.

We charge a premium per piece for data and a higher premium for image swap.

Then, from that point, you can go hog wild if you want - the only limit is what you can do with the software you buy.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back