VDP directly out of InDesign with no plugins? How?

CathieH

Hi there.

I've got InDesign CS6 and have learned to do a mail merge of about 700 names. I've got a 7wx5h postcard, full bleeds and obviously the names, addresses, etc. go on one side. I've been able to import the data (700) and now have a 1400 page document.

How can I get this into my Creo to rip properly? It won't make a PDF file, when I send the file to the rip directly, it all moves into one corner and cuts off part of the postcard.

Ideally, I'd like to get it to print 2-up on an 8.5x11, but I just can't figure out how to get my lovely merged InDesign file to the Creo (I have a KM6501) to print properly.

Anyone know how to do this without plug-ins? I was told by someone that it was easy, but I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Cathie

Last edited:
Why can't you export to PDF?

You can data merge nUp or merge to single pages and impose the .pdf or .ps data using impo software or use inRIP impo.

Can you print to .ps and distill or download the .ps to the RIP or print direct to a hotfolder etc?

Stephen Marsh

Like Stephen said, instead of creating a 1400 page merged document, export it straight to a pdf. It's in the same Data Merge pull-down menu where the Create Merged Document is. At least that's where it's located in CS4 and CS5. I don't have CS6 so I can't say that is hasn't changed or moved.

Erik

Hi Stephen.

I'll try those two things. I'm not sure where distiller is on my machine, but I know I can import a .ps, so maybe that's the way to go.

As for PDF, I really don't know why I can't export the doc. It gives me no error message, but when it's done (and it goes incredibly fast for such a large document), its size is 0mg and says the file is damaged or is already in use when I go to open it.

:confused:

CathieH,

Now that I've read your next reply, it's possible that it's just too big to process. In my opinion, InDesign isn't very robust in terms of large record counts. Can you try to do just 100 or less records and see if it will work. If that works, then I think it might just be too much for InDesign to handle.

Erik

Erik, I didn't see a place for exporting to PDF in the merge box, but will look again.

Stephen, I'll try a few pages and see what happens.

In any case, it'll be next week as I'm about to get outta here for the long weekend.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
Cathie

It has been a few years since I have done a data merge, however the last time I did this a new untitled doc was created with multiple pages of the merged content. One would then use the file menu to directly output a PDF file.

Some RIPs have the ability to combine a single page static "boilerplate" template document (which does not contain any variable data) with a multi-page file that only contains the merged variable content.

When I have time I will post some tips to make the process faster.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Thank you, Stephen. I was wondering if I should consider putting the graphics on a master page and only putting the variable data on the non-static pages. Another good thing to try.

Thanks for your work in helping me get this going. I need to figure it out before Dec. 18 as I'm having spine surgery and they want these postcards to go out before I leave. :)

Cathie, some tips from my experience on producing a "fast" datamerge in InDesign in CS3 -

* On the same common master page, I like to use layers. One layer for the variable data content. Another layer for the static template content that does not change.

* Once I am happy with the document, I save it before I link any data file .csv to the art (too long a story for here/now). This is for insurance (art-1-no-vdp-link.indd or similar name).

* I then save as and link the data file to the various template fields in the variable layer (art-2-vdp-linked.indd).

* I then lock the variable content layer and target the static content layer, unlock all, select all and cut.

* Next, I paste in place the static content into a temporary master page that is not applied to the document pages. Save.

* I then perform the data-merge. A new merged untitled document is created. This should go "pretty fast", as only the variable content is being produced for each page, InDesign does not have to do any "heavy lifting".

* There will be multiple pages, however the only content on each page is variable, there is no static content - yet!

* I then go to the temporary master page and select all and cut.

* Finally, I paste in place this content into the master page that was used to create the merge, in the appropriate lower layer under the variable layer. The file could be saved as "art-3-vdp-final-merge.indd" or similar.

Summary: It is so much faster to let master pages perform the "heavy lifting" than to do this via data merge. Just do the data-merge for only the variable content.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Creating a PDF from InDesign is now done as a background process. You will need to open the background process window to see the progress of the creation. You should notice you can't close your InDesign document because it is creating the PDF in the background.

Hi all.

Well, pcmodem, I didn't see a process window and was allowed to close the InDesign doc. HOWEVER, I went into the folder today and the PDF I tried to create last week was entirely populated. Now I'm seeing if it will print as an imposition. If so, problem solved.

I am, though, in the future, going to put the static graphics on a master page and just do the variable data on the manipulative pages. This should save time and not over-tax InDesign.

Whadda ya know...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back