Versant 2100 Complaints...

kdw75

You can go just about anywhere and hear people praising the machine, but I wanted to list a couple of complaints. We have been using the machine for about two weeks, and it has been a little rocky, but not as bad as I had feared. My top two complaints so far are:

1. The maximum image alignment adjustments are + or - 1mm. Why??? We have had service out twice to tweak the settings in order to get it close enough that the auto alignment feature was able to square up the image on the sheet. The fact that the service tech is able to make larger adjustments means that they should allow the machine to automatically make larger ones. How about go crazy and do + or - 3mm!!!

2. The random system faults. Every couple days, our machine will have a hard fault, sometimes while idle, sometimes in the middle of a job, and the only way to fix it is to power down the machine, and then unplug everything for a few seconds, before powering it all back up. Simply restarting just greets us with another fault after boot up. And in order to power it down, you have to wait about 15 minutes for the machine to cool down. There are warnings not to interfere with the long cool down procedure, and it gets very unhappy if you ignore them, as one of the techs did during a visit.

While there are some other small quirks, those are by far the most frustrating problems we have encountered.

Last edited:
Ask service to give you access to the service mode registration. If it is an on going issue they shouldn't have an issue with that.

Hi kdw75,
Any have you solved your problems yet? Anything new you can share with us? Thanks!

Londen

You can go just about anywhere and hear people praising the machine, but I wanted to list a couple of complaints. We have been using the machine for about two weeks, and it has been a little rocky, but not as bad as I had feared. My top two complaints so far are:

1. The maximum image alignment adjustments are + or - 1mm. Why??? We have had service out twice to tweak the settings in order to get it close enough that the auto alignment feature was able to square up the image on the sheet. The fact that the service tech is able to make larger adjustments means that they should allow the machine to automatically make larger ones. How about go crazy and do + or - 3mm!!!

2. The random system faults. Every couple days, our machine will have a hard fault, sometimes while idle, sometimes in the middle of a job, and the only way to fix it is to power down the machine, and then unplug everything for a few seconds, before powering it all back up. Simply restarting just greets us with another fault after boot up. And in order to power it down, you have to wait about 15 minutes for the machine to cool down. There are warnings not to interfere with the long cool down procedure, and it gets very unhappy if you ignore them, as one of the techs did during a visit.

While there are some other small quirks, those are by far the most frustrating problems we have encountered.

Yes. We have gotten used to the machine, and while there haven't been any firmware patches that I know of, the faults have stopped showing up for some reason.

We are having issues with the RIP having all kinds of glitches, boxes, and random problems in anything very complex. We move the same file to our C75 with the external Fiery and it RIPs the jobs flawlessly. We are waiting on Second Level Support for an answer. This has been a major headache, and has ruined some jobs. In some cases the flaws are not too blatant, and only show up on some of a job you impose. We had a 4 up job and only the bottom two had plugged type, and what looked like someone smeared slightly a wet sheet off a press. This anomaly was visible in the RIP preview.

Thanks for the quick reply. Can I ask which RIP model you get with the 2100? We are in the process of getting a 2100.

Yes. We have gotten used to the machine, and while there haven't been any firmware patches that I know of, the faults have stopped showing up for some reason.

We are having issues with the RIP having all kinds of glitches, boxes, and random problems in anything very complex. We move the same file to our C75 with the external Fiery and it RIPs the jobs flawlessly. We are waiting on Second Level Support for an answer. This has been a major headache, and has ruined some jobs. In some cases the flaws are not too blatant, and only show up on some of a job you impose. We had a 4 up job and only the bottom two had plugged type, and what looked like someone smeared slightly a wet sheet off a press. This anomaly was visible in the RIP preview.

We got the EX2100 Fiery. Just to clarify, it isn't the high performance version, just the standard one.

I don't know if this is a problem with our individual RIP, or if it is a bug.

Have you gotten a delivery date yet? A little birdy told me that deliveries had been halted temporarily because of some issue.

Have you been able to run heavy 350gsm 15pt stock without issues?

I am having banding issues with 130# Blazer Matte, but everything else seems to be ok, except for some trail edge banding that is about 410mm from the leading edge on heavy stock.

I have the EX-P and have had one job that RIPs and print fine as long as I only tell it to do 1 copy. At this point the only way to run this job is to set it at 600dpi or to set copies to 1 and send to print multiple times. I haven't seen any RIP image issue so far other then the 13 x 19 not imaging to the 475mm of the printer engine, but that is now fixed with yesterdays patches.

Hi kdw75
I believe we ordered the EX-P RIP. I think it's an over-kill for us since we don't do any VDP.

No, we have not gotten a delivery date yet. Our purchase request is winding through the red tapes. It will be months rather than weeks. I am hoping sometime the first half of 2015. Hopefully, Xerox will work out most of the bugs.

How's the C75 working for you? What configuration is on that one? Which RIP?

Thanks!

Londen

We got the EX2100 Fiery. Just to clarify, it isn't the high performance version, just the standard one.

I don't know if this is a problem with our individual RIP, or if it is a bug.

Have you gotten a delivery date yet? A little birdy told me that deliveries had been halted temporarily because of some issue.

Our C75 has the external Fiery. It has been a great machine. Only complaints have been the slow speed on heavy coated papers, and more color drift than the Versant. We had to calibrate it daily at the least. The Versant is stable for days.

Wish I could say that. I haven't see that yet.

The amount of toner/developer dust that is getting on the ROS is ridiculous. I have to to constantly be cleaning them.

How many impression do you have on it? When did you start having problems from buildup?

Got to thinking about the dust issue last night. Thinking that also may be related to inconsistent color I took a good look at the developer housing this morning. Magenta and Yellow were the problem so I cleaned the housing and took off the cover and cleaned that real good and the seal areas. 10,000 clicks later and I have not seen the issues again and the color has been extremely consistent.

Only thing I can think of, either the tech had those covers off and didn't clean the seals good enough or the or the original installers didn't clean the seals good enough when putting the developer in, or were just not seated right, or possibly loosened enough through use that the seal get contaminated and allowed toner/developer to get out. I guess I will have to keep a close eye on it.

Over 60,000 impressions, October was a slow digital press month with other commitments taking up my time.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back