Versant Tray 6 & 7 Alignment

TJPrinter

I have a Versant 280 and I need to have a tech adjust the position of the high capacity trays because I’m having problems with consistent registration on 13x19 stock. Last time he was here he couldn’t remember were to make the adjustment. The trays move in and out by a worm gear driven by a motor and there’s a setting somewhere under service that will make this adjustment so each tray is in the correct position and aligned with the engine properly.

I don’t have the problem with any other paper size and I can get perfect registration from trays 1-3 on the same 13x19 stock. When feeding through trays 6 or 7 the paper enters the engine a bit over ¼” away from the operators side in comparison to trays 1-3. For some reason the physical position of the 13x19 stock is making it difficult to hold registration.

This isn’t an image to paper setting or paper alignment it’s a physical adjustment of trays 6 and 7 that's needed.

Any information as to where the tech needs to look to make this adjustment would be greatly appreciated!

Here are a couple good threads on tray and stock alignment. The Versant configuration is the same as the 700 and 550 printers.

Some where there should be paperwork that came with the machine that has the NVM values listed. I always found them in one of the bottom trays, on the right outside at the front of the tray is a small cover that can be removed. Take a look in there.

Here are a couple good threads on tray and stock alignment. The Versant configuration is the same as the 700 and 550 printers.

Some where there should be paperwork that came with the machine that has the NVM values listed. I always found them in one of the bottom trays, on the right outside at the front of the tray is a small cover that can be removed. Take a look in there.
This is very helpful. I did find the sheet with all the NVM settings in drawer 2 and I see the settings for trays 1,2 & 3 but no settings for trays 6 or 7.

Not sure what this means but I don't have issues with registration out of trays 1-3 only trays 6 & 7 and only on 13" wide stock. The stock enters the engine at a different physical location from trays 6 & 7. I ran the stock and opened the door just as it was at the 2nd BTR and the 13x19 stock is a bit more than 1/4" off from where trays 1-3 place it.

I'll certainly ask the tech to go through the registration under service mode. The 280 actually holds registration very well, much better than the 80. It's just not correct for 13" stock from trays 6 & 7, so it's a bit frustrating.

Stumbled on a setting under maintenance on last page “Register Paper Feeding Positions”. I found very little information about this but it certainly sounded like something that may help. After loading 11x17 24lb stock in trays 5-7 and running the sequence for each tray the registration is spot on for all stock sizes. I did have to go through alignment again for my custom paper types but that’s not a big deal to resolve the issue.

When “Register Paper Feeding Positions” is run for trays 6 & 7 it will run the sequence 2 times for each tray. Each time it runs the trays will move in and out of position. My guess would be that the location of the positioning is registered somewhere to indicate a more precise location of where the paper is positioned.

We have purchased a brand Versant 280 and I noticed that trays 1-3 printed in a different position compared to 5,6 & 7. I was testing out a NCR 4 part and found the bottom sheet from tray 1 was off compared to trays 5,6 & 7. Is there a way to get all trays to the same alignment ? I have noticed that trays 1-3 are not the best for registration compared to trays 6 and 7.

We have purchased a brand Versant 280 and I noticed that trays 1-3 printed in a different position compared to 5,6 & 7. I was testing out a NCR 4 part and found the bottom sheet from tray 1 was off compared to trays 5,6 & 7. Is there a way to get all trays to the same alignment ? I have noticed that trays 1-3 are not the best for registration compared to trays 6 and 7.
I believe that's just how the machine works. I don't, but if I was running the same stock from all trays I'd have independent alignment settings saved for each tray.
So NCR Tray 1, NCR Tray 2, NCR Tray 3, etc.

I would say 80% of my production work is through tray 6 so I'd rarely even use 1,2,3 let alone have alignment settings for them.

I believe that's just how the machine works. I don't, but if I was running the same stock from all trays I'd have independent alignment settings saved for each tray.
So NCR Tray 1, NCR Tray 2, NCR Tray 3, etc.

I would say 80% of my production work is through tray 6 so I'd rarely even use 1,2,3 let alone have alignment settings for them.
I thought that may be the case. I just use tray 1 for A4 paper and tray 2 for my labels and tray 3 sits empty.

When it comes to 2 part or 3 part, I’m using trays 5,6,7. On the rare occasion I get 4 part, I just run the bottom sheet on its own and then re-run it through again as a slip sheet when printing the other 3 and then everything is collated.

My guess is that you have more "tolerance" in the registration of smaller stocks since there's more wiggle room inside the print engine to move the image to another spot. 13x19 is the max size so there's essentially no wiggle room to adjust move the image to align with the stock if the stock is entering the engine wrong.

We always had to have separate alignments for each tray on our versants. Having said that, I think you're still going to need to physically change the alignment of how the paper enters the printer in order to get that issue resolved. You might have better luck talking to a tech that installs the Versants rather than your mainline tech as the installation techs usually know where the settings are for baselining the machines at installation.

Stumbled on a setting under maintenance on last page “Register Paper Feeding Positions”. I found very little information about this but it certainly sounded like something that may help. After loading 11x17 24lb stock in trays 5-7 and running the sequence for each tray the registration is spot on for all stock sizes. I did have to go through alignment again for my custom paper types but that’s not a big deal to resolve the issue.

When “Register Paper Feeding Positions” is run for trays 6 & 7 it will run the sequence 2 times for each tray. Each time it runs the trays will move in and out of position. My guess would be that the location of the positioning is registered somewhere to indicate a more precise location of where the paper is positioned.
I ran this setting and then realigned my Tray 7 that was being difficult with 70# Domtar Lynx 12x18. Seem to help a lot. Thanks.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back