We put a man on the moon but can't make an ink for Digital Duplicators that dry?

Hi John
Thank you for the reply, I have been in the print trade for many years as a small offset pressman (AB Dick and Multigraph) Then trained as a tech with AM in England, moved on to Ricoh as a product manager and trainer on offset, priport and copiers. Moved to SMA (Seriprint) now Dryprint ten years ago.
Invovled right from the start of the Model 25 UV drier that fits most modern Priports.
Our product does what it says and dries our UV ink, Yes we have had some negitive feed back but alot more positve.
I will be more than happy to answer any questions on the system that you or anyone else has.

I was told the Seriprint system will absolutely do what it is sold as and it fills a void for certain markets. I am in the Mid Atlantic. Who is a support vendor for it? This particular person stayed involved with it because if the kinks were were ever worked out of the system it had the potential of bridging a gap or so to speak in the Graphic Arts arena.

Now for the bad. What about the problems the Seri Drums can create for the Duplicator? Are there any problems with the UV ink and damage to the pumps?

And maintenance is key I was told. Please explain the depth of regular maintenance and the cost of consumables to do so.

Thanks,
John Weaver

Last edited:
Hi John
I can answer the second part now, There have been problems not with the drums but the affect of the ink on some plastics parts of the Duplicator namely the Eject box. This is now coated at our factory and is working as it should, we reccommend that this part is replaced every 18 months.
On the JP and HQ machines the pressure drum can be a problem if a jam occurs and the seridrum touches it. There is a very thin film coating on the pressure surface and if the ink gets onto this it will bubble up,again we have a fix for this.
We also have better eject rollers (silicon) as again this was becoming a problem.

The ink pump bodies were changed from metal to plastic and we run a number of tests before putting them out in the field. We then started to get complaints that they were cracking and had to go back to the metal bodies. Up to today we have had no problems with the new pumps. As long as the inside of the Duplicator is keep clean in the eject area and the eject box is emptied each day there is be no problems with the eject.
I have just returned from a visit to a customer in Holland who has done nearly 1000000 prints in under a year a with an HQ 9000 and is very happy with the system.
I will get to the other questions on Monday.

Best Regards

Steve

Hi John
I can answer the second part now, There have been problems not with the drums but the affect of the ink on some plastics parts of the Duplicator namely the Eject box. This is now coated at our factory and is working as it should, we reccommend that this part is replaced every 18 months.
On the JP and HQ machines the pressure drum can be a problem if a jam occurs and the seridrum touches it. There is a very thin film coating on the pressure surface and if the ink gets onto this it will bubble up,again we have a fix for this.
We also have better eject rollers (silicon) as again this was becoming a problem.

The ink pump bodies were changed from metal to plastic and we run a number of tests before putting them out in the field. We then started to get complaints that they were cracking and had to go back to the metal bodies. Up to today we have had no problems with the new pumps. As long as the inside of the Duplicator is keep clean in the eject area and the eject box is emptied each day there is be no problems with the eject.
I have just returned from a visit to a customer in Holland who has done nearly 1000000 prints in under a year a with an HQ 9000 and is very happy with the system.
I will get to the other questions on Monday.

Best Regards

Steve

I have spent a fair amount of time on researching this. Now look at your last sentence. Not impressed. And this is exactly why I would not have an interest in this machine. Accountability. Too far across the ocean for me to get left with no chair when the music stops.

Thanks,

Wow
Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed today, I am a working Project manager, and answered one of your questions in my own time on a Friday Afternoon.This was me not wanting you to think that I did not know my product and where not intrested.. So I cannot see why you where not impressed, maybe it is because of where you live ,you all think that you know what is good for this world.
Thanks for your intrest and good luck in the future.

I have spent a fair amount of time on researching this. Now look at your last sentence. Not impressed. And this is exactly why I would not have an interest in this machine. Accountability. Too far across the ocean for me to get left with no chair when the music stops.

Thanks,

Errrr... sounds to me like Steve was being very honest about the machine. From my experience you normally only find out about a manufacturers problems after you buy their kit. Dryprint sound like they must be doing okay with supporting their overseas customers. It's a long way from the south of England to Holland.

Take a look at the response he gave Friday. It said I will get to the other questions on Monday. Monday come. Monday gone. If this Steve person felt that it was not his obligation to respond on personal time, then why put yourself out there? As far as support out of my country, that does not bother me in the least. A process that will supposedly take a duplicator to the next level in terms of drying and having only sold a few hundred units in the states leaves something in question. Let me promise to follow up on a project with a printer I deal with and not do as I say and I guarantee you it won't happen but one time. I really do appreciate you informing me of this device Overscan, but I hope you appreciate me saying this is not the machine for me. And it all starts with someone within the company not doing as they say. I read the horror stories on here about certain things and it normally boils down to customer service.

And Steve, as far as how good I have it- I smile everyday I wake up and get to wave my flag. I hope you do the same!

Thank you,

John Weaver

So John in your 4 month research you might had noted that we sold our drier and Inks through Ricoh Corp, who like it or not are controlled by Japan. As this was a local deal Japan did not offer much support to Ricoh Corp, yes we did have a few minor problems in the begining,but the major one was untrained engineers which we had no control over.
Ricoh Corp decided after a few years to discountinue the product so our route to market in the States was lost. A few hundred units is still a good sale for us in a time when the DD market was and still is in decline as the price per copy is lower then ever from a copier.

I came on this site to give everybody an honest technical overveiw of our product, answer questions when i can and to give the correct infomation.
There are al great many things that you do not know about me so please do not write things like(If this Steve person felt that it was not his obligation to respond on personal time, then why put yourself out there? ) ?The reason is because I care
As for my comments to you I apologize.

I still know that we have a great product but are unable to support in the States as I had confirmed to me yesterday .

I do things a little different to you as in: I wake up , then smile and then wave my flag .

Best Regards
Steve

I came on this site to give everybody an honest technical overveiw of our product, answer questions when i can and to give the correct infomation.

Best Regards Steve

Bravo. It is always commendable when a vendor or vendor employee takes the time to monitor a forum like this. It's even more commendable when they provide useful information in response to a question as you have done. You could have simply ignored the OP's question.

As a matter of company policy, many vendors do not allow their employees to speak in public forums like this, and we are all the worse off for that lack of responsiveness.

You did well. Your effort should be appreciated.

best, gordon p

Ok Ted, Karl, Kyle, or whatever your name is, let me see if you can understand it a different way.......

Me= Business owner who says you do not get a second chance to make a first impression or not when I am spending 20k of my hard earned money on a product that is suppposed to bridge a gap in the DD industry. Especially when the owners don't even follow up with email that is outside of this forum. If you read through some of the post on this site, 80% of the problems people have with equipment boils down to response and customer service. You may get your high marks from other members for jumping in the spotlight. Good for them. We all have choices. I guarantee there are other members on here who look at my angle as justified because they have it happen to them also. If I can't get a simple follow up from someone within a company who said they would then I can only imagine what type of disaster it would be trying to get a part for maintaining the machine. What I should have done was let the thread rot for a week with no repsonse and then my case would have been made better. The good news for me is that in 2011 my company will be focused on helping small business who deal with this everyday.

Thank you,
John Weaver
On Demand Packaging

Sorry john
I really do not know what is the matter with my responce. and what email outside of this for forum i do not understand.I have checked all my emails and cannot find any from you to me at dryprint. I have not come on this site to gain high marks or anything else and i can just as easy leave if that is what you want.
I wish you all the success 1n 2011

Best Regards
Steve

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back