What Can I Use to Drive a Docucolor 260?

homeboy

I bought a used Xerox 260 with FreeFlow. It worked fine until the software license expired. (Never happened on previous machines with Fiery.) Xerox says I have to buy a software license that costs $3750. I'm keeping my eye out on eBay for a Fiery. Can I use any Fiery or just one that was connected to a 260? Any other alternatives to the FreeFlow? Perhaps software I can run on my regular PC? I don't need all the fancy FreeFlow features. I can even live without the finisher since I'm dead in the water. I just need to be able to send routine 8.5x11 and 11x17 jobs from InDesign to the 260 for printing.

I don't understand how or why a fiery would expire. Never seen that before.

Have you tried setting the date back a year? may be able to trick it into working. make sure that the tcp/ip doesnt have a connection to the net, just to your inside network. (zero out the gateway.

I would post this on the EFI forum as well as i am a KONICA/FIERY guy. Xerox is a whole other monster.

I don't have a Fiery. I have FreeFlow. It is the FreeFlow that has expired. I have had Fierys in the past -- and none of them have ever expired. Although I am open to tricking the software, I assume that if they want to charge $3750 for it, they have figured out how to protect it against simple hacks. What I had in mind by posting here wasn't to break into FreeFlow but to find a alternative to it.

drivers

drivers

It is hard to believe they don't have a generic driver on line. Have you tried that?

I don't have a Fiery. I have FreeFlow. It is the FreeFlow that has expired. I have had Fierys in the past -- and none of them have ever expired. Although I am open to tricking the software, I assume that if they want to charge $3750 for it, they have figured out how to protect it against simple hacks. What I had in mind by posting here wasn't to break into FreeFlow but to find a alternative to it.

Maybe I don't understand how this works. Can someone clue me in? I thought the 260 needed some sort of "front-end" where, among other things PostScript was located, to make it work. Do I hear you saying that I can send jobs directly from InDesign to the 260 without one of these front-end boxes (like Fiery, Creo, FreeFlow, etc.) and all that is needed is a printer driver? (I'm going to nose around the Xerox website while I'm waiting for a reply to this message.)

Your RIP needs some sort of driver for your particular machine, as those RIPS are capable of handling many kinds of machines. Don't see why you couldn't get the driver and just print though it, unless they are well hidden. Your tech had to get it from somewhere to install in your RIP to tell it what kind of box it was printing to.

if not being picky about print count and cosmetics, you can get whole machine to spare with the fiery in mid 4000, Just use remain life of drums, toners, fuser will payback good chunk of that... plus fiery :)

I think friend of mine has server from DC240, any Xerox proficient guys here? can it drive 260?

Can someone answer that? And expanding it a bit -- can a RIP from a 240, 242, 250, or 252, of any brand, Fiery or Creo, including bustled Fierys, be used to drive a 260?

I think there is a very slim chance for Non Xerox Print controllers to run DC260. They overcharge, no, let me be more accurate - they rip-off people with prices for Fierys and tweak them to be used with particular machine only. I would not be surprised if a person buys a DC240 with fiery and decides to upgrade to DC260 and Fiery can't be carried over, and "Slam!!!" anther what? $5000-7000 added to the invoice for cheesy computer with day before yesterday hardware in it. I will text my friend tomorrow and ask if he still got that box.

Creo 260

Creo 260

I bought a used Xerox 260 with FreeFlow. It worked fine until the software license expired. (Never happened on previous machines with Fiery.) Xerox says I have to buy a software license that costs $3750. I'm keeping my eye out on eBay for a Fiery. Can I use any Fiery or just one that was connected to a 260? Any other alternatives to the FreeFlow? Perhaps software I can run on my regular PC? I don't need all the fancy FreeFlow features. I can even live without the finisher since I'm dead in the water. I just need to be able to send routine 8.5x11 and 11x17 jobs from InDesign to the 260 for printing.

Maybe you shoud look at exploring and purchasing a used Creo CX260? Where are you located and maybe I could help you?

there is a guy "milo" that is a expert at these type of problems. let me know, i will pass along his info if you are interested....

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back