What constitutes a different postcard

pabney

I currently have a variable postcard in house. The front of the card is static. The back of the card has a paragraph that changes, but prints on the same shell. Basically people A get paragraph A and people B get paragraph B. My mail person tells me that this has to be mailed as two separate mailings as they are not identical and postal regulations say they have to be the same.

In this day of variable data printing and direct marketing, where is the line between this job being one run (which qualifies for presorting) or two runs (that will require stamps)? Does swapping out a picture based on gender cause a postcard to be two versions. What about swapping colors based on data?

Thanks
Paul

I believe your mail person is incorrect. As long as it weighs the same and is the same size.

We had an issue with someone at our local BMEU about this at one point, they were interpreting the rule incorrect however.

I also think this is not correct, but I can not find the rule that would govern this to interpret it myself.

I would just call down to your BMEU and tell them the project and see what they say. If they are anything like our BMEU employees they will give you very specific details over the phone on how to prepare the shipment. The trick is knowing that everything they told you will be the exact opposite when you get there with a truck full of trays.

Your "mail" person is wrong.

The only thing the post office will care about is that they are all the same size, weight, thickness and that they are addresses properly with the correct indicia or stamp.

What's actually on each card does not matter to them. We've done projects where not only the one paragraph but colors and photos were entirely different.

The only thing that would require the postcards be split is if group A were getting indicia and group B gets stamps. Or A was first class and B was standard.

I appreciate everyones input. This did not sound right to me, and you have confirmed my suspicions. Before I go back to him, can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find the official information on this?

Thanks again
Love this group.

Paul

I appreciate everyones input. This did not sound right to me, and you have confirmed my suspicions. Before I go back to him, can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find the official information on this?

USPS - Getting Started

United States Postal Service Website. I made sure to bookmark it because its hard to find otherwise! From what I can tell, "content" means any mail piece that would qualify as letter, postcard, etc and has nothing to do if it is blue, purple or polka dotted.

Thanks again
Love this group.

Paul

Take a look at htttp://pe.usps.gov (but I'm guessing you've already been through it).
Under 3.0 Basic Standards for Standard Mail Letters, check section 3.2.8 Identical Pieces and section 3.5 Merging Similar Standard Mailings

Particularly, part of Section 3.5 reads:

"...Generally, mailers may merge similar Standard Mail matter into a single mailing. Differences in text, address labels, and address lists or list key numbers do not prohibit the mailer from merging and sorting pieces together. ..."

When In doubt, check with your BMEU's local Mailing Requirements Supervisor. In many instances, they've helped us clarify a vast number of less-than-typical mailings that fall into a grey area.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

@pabney: What you are looking for is the DMM (Domestic Mail Manual), which, is basically the mailer's "bible" and can not be superceded by any other USPS publication. While many BMEU's may interpret the regulations differently,
this one is pretty cut & dry. Basically, as long as the piece is being mailed as "standard" (advertising mail), and, all pieces are the same size & weight, the personal information can vary as much as you want it to from card to card.

DMM 243 Content Standards for Standard Mail Letters
243.2.2 Personal Information
Personal information may not be included in a Standard Mail mailpiece unless
all of the following conditions are met:
a. The mailpiece contains explicit advertising for a product or service for sale or lease or an explicit
solicitation for a donation.
b. All of the personal information is directly related to the advertising or solicitation.
c. The exclusive reason for inclusion of all of the personal information is to support the advertising or
solicitation in the mailpiece.

Also DMM 243.3.5 states:

Mailings are subject to the general definitions and conditions in 245.1.0, General Information for Mail Preparation. Generally, mailers may merge similar Standard Mail matter into a single mailing. Differences in text, address labels, and address lists or list key numbers do not prohibit the mailer from merging and sorting pieces together. Pieces with different methods of postage payment may be combined in the same mailing only if authorized by Business Mailer Support (BMS). Pieces of nonidentical weight, if merged in the same mailing, must bear the correct postage when mailed, unless otherwise authorized by BMS.

Hope this helps.

-MailGuru

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back