What is everyone using for imposition proofs

hansman

What is the standard for backed up proofs in the industry?
I have used an Agfa Sherpa but the back up was out sometimes by almost an eighth of an inch.

Thanks in advance
K Hanson

HP5500 on 24# bond, fold em and tape em. staple where applicable.
Hand folded, and better registration that your Sherpa.

In today's rapidly changing digital world I still find the need for a backed up folded, booked proof. Sure I could probably get a backed up inkjet after a few tries but there seems to be a void for a real backed up press proof that works every time.

SpinJet 4000 for automatic double-sided.
Epson 9800 for manual double-sided (for when the SpinJet is down.)

We've used a Spinjet 1000 for automatic backup. And an Epson 9600 for manual backups when we're busy. Both back up within a half point.

We use an Epson 10000 running cut sheets that we manually flip. We taped an old film stripping pin to it as a guide so when we load paper it has something to hit to ensure it is in the same position every time. Generally we are never more than .5mm off; usually it is pretty dead on. If it starts to drift (like when we open a new carton of paper) we tweak the sheet size settings until it is back in place.

Epson 9660, 60 lb bond roll paper, spray mount and a light table. Back ups are within mm. Only issue comes when booking up large books 40 + pages. The two sheets pasted together are thicker than what we would run so when you trim it down, your creep can be off. Not enough to buy a $17,000 + double sided proofer

Kodak

Kodak

Kodak Matchprint Inkjet on an Epson 10600 with the double sided media guide. Using kodaks cut sheets and manually flipping.
(We also have the guide on an Epson 9800 but we use that one for our hi res proofs)

The registration is dead on, but can be a 1/16 off if there is heavy ink coverage and the paper is all wavy.
I usually let it sit on a light table to dry, if time permits, before I back it up when there is heavy coverage.

Imposition Proofers

Imposition Proofers

If anyone is coming to MyPrint, please stop by our Booth #6042.

We will be showing our latest Canon based ImpoProof, the ImpoProof 810.

It is based on the Canon iPF810. It is a 5 color printer, 44" and can produce 26 proofs per hour

We will also be introducing the worlds first double sided imposition proofer built into 1 printer.

It is a CMYK printer the size of one standard 44" printer with 2 printheads in it, providing synchronous front and back printing. As I said, it is a 44" max printer, but will accept rolls of any width below 44".

We will also be showing a cool inkjet TShirt printer as well

If you cannot make it to the show, we will have the new device on our website starting Sept 11th.

Flashlight Digital - ImpoProof

John Meggitt
Flashlight Digital

We use an Epson 9800 and manually flip the pages.. We print directly to 40" press sheets and have found that they're usually 40 1/8", which will cause the second side to be up to 1/4" off. We just cut the stock down to exactly 40" and usually have no issues.

We will also be introducing the worlds first double sided imposition proofer built into 1 printer.

It is a CMYK printer the size of one standard 44" printer with 2 printheads in it, providing synchronous front and back printing. As I said, it is a 44" max printer, but will accept rolls of any width below 44".

Now that will be interesting to see!

I would like to see this 2 printhead printer as well.

I have an idea for a 2 sided printer using memjet technology but I am not sure who to contact about getting such a device produced.

We have 2 Fuji double proofers that the backup was the same as a spin jet I used run. But when we got the Hyphen Impo Proof we only turned them on once. The Impo proof has camera registration from front to back and is the fastest thing I have seen so far. We have the 2 double proofers if you like to buy them just make an offer.

We used an Iris 43 Wide for years (manual sheet backup) and thought that was as good as it could get, but our Epson 9900 is doing even better! Backups are generally within .5mm, with the paper manually loaded simply to the alignment line on the roll cover, no complex apparatus needed. We're using Kodak KPS on the front...but I think it's the Epson's redesigned loading mechanism that has made the difference (believe me, we were familiar with the poor results from a 10600).

We are using HP9500 LaserJet with Kodak Digital Blueline imposition software. The quality of the LaserJet is superior to the inkjet and will produce a 16 page form in less than 10 minutes. Max paper size is 12 x 18.5 covering a majority of our work. Backup tends to vary. At worst one end will be on, the other off by 1/16". Epson 10600 handles the oversized pieces.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back