What's the state-of-the-art CTP for small offset?

Hello,
I already posted this request over in the "press" category, and I thought I'd post it here in the CTP forum. Hope it's alright to cross-post this!

Currently we use an old roll-fed poly platemaker. It works well, but only as long as we dump-and-change chemistry every five weeks or so. That process takes several hours and kills production time, but it's necessary to get good clean plates. So, we are considering replacing the machine we currently have with something more modern and reliable.

What computer-to-plate platemaking machine is considered to be the well-respected, known-to-be reliable choice? We run black poly plates on small 12 x 17 Multis and ABDicks with the pink glycol-based fountain solutions, so the choice of machine needs to be geared toward that type of plate.

Critera include reliablility, ease of operation and quality of customer support. Cost is important too, but less important than reliability in the long run.

Hello,
I already posted this request over in the "press" category, and I thought I'd post it here in the CTP forum. Hope it's alright to cross-post this!

Currently we use an old roll-fed poly platemaker. It works well, but only as long as we dump-and-change chemistry every five weeks or so. That process takes several hours and kills production time, but it's necessary to get good clean plates. So, we are considering replacing the machine we currently have with something more modern and reliable.

What computer-to-plate platemaking machine is considered to be the well-respected, known-to-be reliable choice? We run black poly plates on small 12 x 17 Multis and ABDicks with the pink glycol-based fountain solutions, so the choice of machine needs to be geared toward that type of plate.

Critera include reliablility, ease of operation and quality of customer support. Cost is important too, but less important than reliability in the long run.

Are you looking for used or new? Thermal or Violet? What size? How many plates per day? how much is the budget? How is service and support in your area? Where are you located?

Regards,

Last edited:
Are you looking for used or new? Thermal or Violet? What size? How many plates per day? how much is the budget? How is service and support in your area? Where are you located?

Regards,

Hello Armya,
I am looking for a new machine. I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "thermal" or "violet", so I can't answer that portion of your question. Our shop is fairly small so the machine must also be somewhat small - but the machine we're currently using to make poly plates measures about 6' x 5' x 3', so maybe that gives you an idea. Plates per day = a low number... I would say maybe 10 or 11 at the most. There are days when I only use 1 or 2 or 3 plates per day. Our budget - that depends... but my concept is an outright purchase (not a lease) of a brand-new machine. We are located near Kansas City, Kansas.

Doug:

Have you had this discussion with your current graphic arts supplier?

There is a wide assortment of imaging options for the volume and demand you require.

From polyester plates that run through an optimized xerographic "laser" printer,
to plates that run through a medium-sized ink jet proofing device. There are also used
devices on the market for more up-stream demands - however I caution you
that for your volume - you may want to consider chem-free.

You also might want to consider a partnership with an existing printer in your
area to outsource plates to you.

If your current supplier doesn't have options available to you, I know a good
dealer in your area who does. (smile)

Regards,

Anyway the processor will take may be more room space than CTP.
With that small amount of plate I'd rather prefer to outsource the platemaking at all.
Your idea is a money wasting, no profit and you will never compensate your expences just will be sinking in debt.

The newer inkjet solutions on metal plates are reliable, simple but are not really cheap per plate.
Presstek make a small footprint 2 up machine but plates are very high
ECRM Violet will be the cheapest and a plate company or local dealer may have a used processor to help lower your intro cost. Hope you are not married to your fountain solution because it will have to change based on the type of plate you choose.
Start by getting together a sample file and contact a couple of local dealers and have plates made and run them - then get down to price negotiations so you do not waste alot of time for any of you.
Good Luck.

Hello Armya,
I am looking for a new machine. I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "thermal" or "violet", so I can't answer that portion of your question. Our shop is fairly small so the machine must also be somewhat small - but the machine we're currently using to make poly plates measures about 6' x 5' x 3', so maybe that gives you an idea. Plates per day = a low number... I would say maybe 10 or 11 at the most. There are days when I only use 1 or 2 or 3 plates per day. Our budget - that depends... but my concept is an outright purchase (not a lease) of a brand-new machine. We are located near Kansas City, Kansas.

Hi Cazkprint,

You can find Plenty of information on subject of Violet and Thermal on this Forum, and there are Plenty of new, used and refurbished equipment in the market, but this isn't your issue.
Before considering a Plate setter, you will need a business plan. This is the question, is Plate setter a right choice for you?

Last edited:
Thermal Digiplate

Thermal Digiplate

Hello Cazksprint
There is a solution called Thermal Digipate from Mitsubishi Imaging, that is aimed at the Duplicator market. It is a no chemistry, no processing process. It creates a paper plate that is 8 mil thick, 1200 DPI 120 LPI that is for use in the less then 5000 impression market. The plate maker is a Countrertop machine, but it is not a repurposed lazerprinter or ink jet printer. The platemaker has CTP quality registration. The plates use press chemistry similar to Silvermaster Black plates. So it should almost be a drop infor you. Here is a link. Mitsubishi Imaging (MPM), Inc. - Thermal DigiPlate or you can email me.
[email protected]
Thanks Lee

Hello,

Epson makes a new metal plate machine that can also be used as a proofer. Go to Epson's web site or contact a local dealer. Looks interesting. .
Dan

Affordable and easy to use desktop CTP

Affordable and easy to use desktop CTP

Try the Kimosetter 410.

This is a desktop, thermal transfer CTP solution that uses polyester plates. It is completely process-less and chemistry free. You can always request sample plates to test.

Please visit Welcome to myKimosetter.com for more information or call 847-640-8022 to speak to a sales representative.

Serina

Hi cazksprint,
Thermal Digiplate is the way to go. No Ink, no processing, no tapes, A True Green Machine.
Excellent pickup of ink on the press. 5k run. We can send you sample plates. Go to GraphLine Home to download a brochure or the unit. Or call Paul 954-724-2219 We can refer you to your local dealer.

State of the art CTP for small offset

State of the art CTP for small offset

I work for Glunz & Jensen. We make an inkjet system that would be perfect for your application and quality needs. Ours is a chemistry free metal plate system, affordable, easy, and great quality. We have nearly 700 systems installed worldwide and our company has nearly 40 years of experience in pre-press equipment. We have a dealer near you also. Plate prices are not high compared to some other systems out there. And you are eliminating your chemicals, cleaning, disposal, etc. We'll be happy to make some test plates for you to put on press also. Let me know if I can be of further help. Thanks.

Why you don't consider a machine like KBA Karat or similar and forget chemistry related problems? It would have smaller footprint than all your machines combined.

If your using a platemaker like Itek, 3m or something like them, we have been replacing them with a Kimosetter 410. It is a desktop thermal image printer that will produce a 5ml poly plate. This chemical free CTP System is low cost, maintenance free and your plate cost is under $2.00 per plate.

Just a thought- why switch from Poly?

Just a thought- why switch from Poly?

I know you want to get away from Poly, but you can find a used poly machine for less than 10K. We just found a Xante/Ripit 300 to replace our DPM 2340 back in December (we chose it after posting questions on this site). Uses 1/2 the chemistry. You still have the down time from a production standpoint for cleaning, etc. but since you are not doing super high volume on plates it might be worth the lost time. Just a thought. There is so much used equipment on the market it might be worth a look.

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the great responses. So far the Mitsubishi machine looks really intriguing but I haven't had time to sort through your other recommendations. Brett S, you got the idea I want to get away from poly plates but that's not really accurate. I wanted to arrive at a low-volume short-run CTP machine that doesn't put out metal plates. My assumption is that anything else will be less costly than metal plates - if my assumption is wrong, then I clearly need education!

One question I have is, what is "violet" technology I keep hearing about?

violet laser devices are usually arround 405nm - violet silver 5mw metal plate (Mitsubishi Alpha Violet)
and GL Optima Violet photopoloymer - (metal plate) sold by our local dealers.
The processor must match up with the plate you are using.

I work for a small print company that is currently going 100% digital. We have a Ripit Speedsetter that we are about to sell. Its very low milage and in great shape. PM me if you want to talk.

CJ

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the great responses. So far the Mitsubishi machine looks really intriguing but I haven't had time to sort through your other recommendations. Brett S, you got the idea I want to get away from poly plates but that's not really accurate. I wanted to arrive at a low-volume short-run CTP machine that doesn't put out metal plates. My assumption is that anything else will be less costly than metal plates - if my assumption is wrong, then I clearly need education!

One question I have is, what is "violet" technology I keep hearing about?

Still a great way to get high quality screens at the lowest total cost. Many people have gone to remanufactured Platestreams to replace old, unsupported DPMs, DPXs, Ecos, RipIts, film imagesetters, etc. Rugged, top of the line remanufactured systems starting under $10K. Full manufacturer warranty and low cost supplies. More at Polyester CtP Solutions - Poly Plate Material - Polyester Printing Plates.

I need more information on this product. Any body has ever used it? Any satisfied customers? Service and support? Countries do you presently operate?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back