Where can you learn about mailing?

bgardner

I Apologize if this is the wrong category. We recently started doing mailing in house, at first is was maybe once a week we had one to do. Now its more like 3-5 a week. We only mail what we print so we have control over it from the beginning. The question I have is what is the best way to learn the ins and outs of the mailing business. The post office website is useless, and there people aren't really the most informative.

We use Satori Software - Bulk Mailer professional to be exact. Even there online training isn't the best, as it is out of date.

Any suggestions on how to get up to speed?

Go to your local bulk mail office and talk with one of the workers, they are usually very resourceful.
Get a quick reference manual, use pe.usps.com for more in depth information.

Go to the Local USPS and go make a friend. I agree that most of them will help you as they have enough to deal with everyday and would prefer to not reject your mail despite the opinions of some people. Other than that, something you may want to consider is posting an add on Craigslist with your intent and find someone who will help you part time until you get confident with the work.

Regulations change so someone needs to take ownership for sure. One thing to keep in mind is you can take the most profitable job in your shop and make a simple mailing error and you went from hero to zero.

Good luck,

The responses here that direct you to the people at your local post office are the best answer, but I would like to add, when you go to your local post office hunt out the BMEU clerk. Most of the people at the post office do not know the rules and regulations of bulk mailing. Your BMEU clerk is going to be the expert on this no matter what class of mail you are preparing. Most of the BMEU people also have access to several publications and the gauges created by the post office, to assist you in your mail preparation. I have found the BMEU clerks to be some of the most helpful and friendly people to deal with.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back