Where do local printers get their customers?

cjshort

Just doing some research into local commercial printers.

Where do they get their leads from mainly? is it their online presence?

Local customers usually come from sales calls and word of mouth from previous customers. Groups, especially, are good for word of mouth because you have so many "customers" in one group, word can travel fast.

Of course a professional looking website never hurts. But as a mailing house/print shop, clients who start out using our mailing services are often inclined to have their letters, mailers and postcards data-merged and printed here to make it a package deal.

From my experience, no amount of advertising comes close to the results you get from personal contact. We have tried local TV ads, mailings, online ads, such as FB and Adwords, and they all had a tiny percentage of success. Going out and meeting with people on the other hand, has gained us some nice accounts.

Printing isn't an impulse purchase. It requires a relationship with the purchaser. I am talking about selling to businesses of course. The same can't be said for individuals wanting some printing done.

Last edited:
I agree with kdw75. Getting long-term business customers means building a relationship with them, and that comes from meeting with them. How many times have you tossed mailed advertisements in the trash without really looking at them, or deleted advertising e-mails from vendors? Individual customers who look online are mostly looking for the cheapest deals, and those aren't the kind of customers who can build your business. Get out there with some brochures and business cards and hit the bricks.

Get involved . . . Rotary, Kiwanis, Boys and Girls Clubs, local Chamber of Commerces, are a few examples, look around for your local community organizations and get involved - you will meet the movers and shakers in your community

Last edited:
Get involved . . . Rotary, Kiwanis, Boys and Girls Clubs, local Chamber of Commerces, are a few examples, look around for your local community organizations and get involved - you will meet the movers and shakers in your community

I second this. I was involved with my local Chambers and now I am involved with a local Rotary Club among other things. I attribute a lot of my success to getting out of my shop and meeting people. Heck, sometimes just going to the bank will net me an order!

Also keep in mind that when you do work for a business, you can get orders from the employees for stuff like wedding invitations or a banner for their church.

Whoever said "If you build it, they will come...." or "Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door", is full of "Bull-Sh-t".
You gotta get out there!
Hob, knob, network, clubs, associations, non-profits, pass out those business cards, shake those hands, donate some print to a good cause!

Me, my technique is to try and get a meeting to learn about what their business does, what their challenges are, and, just to basically BS for a little while. You'd be surprised. Most business owners are very proud of their venture, and, will jump at chance to show it off. I'm not there to "sell" them anything, and, I make sure they know that on the initial visit.

My job is to observe, and, see if, and where, there are any mutually beneficial opportunities where we can help them out, and, they can help us out. They can buy print or mail services from anybody. However, an "ally" to help him/her succeed, we'll that's a whole different matter..........

-Best

MailGuru

Whoever said "If you build it, they will come...." or "Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door", is full of "Bull-Sh-t".

Now there's an idea for a cartoon - "I've just bought all these whoop-de-do machines, where are the customers who were supposed to flock in?"

Local customers usually come from sales calls and word of mouth from previous customers. Groups, especially, are good for word of mouth because you have so many "customers" in one group, word can travel fast.

This is true. Some of our new clients usually are those who know an existing client who referred them to us. Although we still do the business calls, I think word of mouth is still the best marketing strategy.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back