Who orders your paper stock?

richck

I would just be interested to know how other companies are setup with regards to there paper stock ordering, who does it? how far in advance is paper ordered? Also when the stock enters the building is it labeled up so people know what job is it for?

Thanks

We have a receiving department that orders and tracks all of our paper (as well as other supplies). Some clients provide their own stock, but we mostly order from a select group of suppliers. When the stock arrives, it is labeled for the intended job. Most of our inventory is JIT inventory so it usually arrives the day before or the exact day it is to go on press. We do however, keep some common weights and finishes in permanent inventory to deal with rush jobs or stuff that gets printed often (business cards, trifolds, letterhead, etc.)

We have someone on staff who does pre-planning and paper buying. We order our stock based on how long it takes to arrive. We will usually try and get the stock in a couple days early, but sometimes mill items can be a little tougher. We have a very good relationship with Unisource and they're very good about getting us what we need in a timely manner.

Our production supervisor/scheduler/buyer orders our stock. He has the best knowledge of when stock is needed and will purchase JIT to have a day or two before the job is scheduled to run. (Need that extra day in the winter time to let the stock acclamate.) Towards the end of the month is critical. If the job isn't running until the next calendar month, moving the purchase into the next billing cycle helps the cashflow.

Thanks for the replys guys, the reason i asked the question is the way things are set up in the company i work for doesn't work in my opinion. Your replys so far are exactly how i would like to have things setup ie. Production scheduler ordering paper and stock been labeled as it comes in. The way thing are at the minute we have a production scheduler who put the schedules together but doesn't order any stock and we have a guy who orders all the stocks and has no involvement in the prodution schedule.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back