Wide format printing

MC_JerryD

We are looking pursuing the large format print market. What would be a suggestion into getting set up for this? We are currently a sheetfed/digital shop, and we do have 2 Epson 9800 that was use for our color calibrated press proofs.

An HP representative talked to our company's President about getting a HP Designjet Z6100. I did not see anything about a RIP, but I know I need a front end for it. Any suggestions? We are using ORIS Color Tuner for our Epsons. Should I just purchase an additional driver from ORIS to output to the Z6100?

Any advice from any printshops also doing large format printing would be appreciated.

Thanks,

MCJerryD

Re: Wide format printing

If you need to be flexible in setting up this new venture then you need a RIP that would give you that. You may find that you may need to tile, map colours or process many different file formats. Take a look at the Caldera RIP which runs on Mac Leopard of below. www.caldera.fr.

Thanks
Karl

Re: Wide format printing

I run a wide format digital printshop. I am running three Z6100s and 2 5500's. I use Onyx RIP - though it only allows 4 printers at once. I have one 5500 offline that I use for testing new materials, running films, and printing other medias than my standard grade. The Z6100s are great, though they still have some bugs as far as I'm concerned. The image quality is outstanding on them, though.

I run aqueous printers because we then run the prints into an embedment process to make durable signage. Media and inks (I think inks) are more expensive in the aqueous format due to the need of an inkjet coating. Solvent printers can print on a wider variety of media, and these medias do not need an inkjet coating on them, therefore.... cheaper media - more important for a printshop. I also believe the inks are more colorfast and durable in the weather.

Anyhow, if you want to do any type of advanced file setup, modification, color management, etc.... you need a RIP. Also, if you are going to be running multiple files per day - you need a RIP to manage all those files. I love Onyx, and their technical support is outstanding (most days). I've also heard good things about Colorburst, though I cannot speak from experience.

Hope my babble helps.
Jon

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back