wide gamut vs matching litho for a digital device

Eric DeRoos

I'm interested in getting feedback from anyone who runs both litho and digital jobs through the same shop.

Do you color manage your digital jobs and if so at what point (workflow rip or device rip...)?
Do you ever have a situation where you're required to match a digital job to a litho job?

Any info would be helpful.

Sometimes we need to match jobs previously printed on litho.
We tweak the colors on our Creo RIP, and save the preset (of course, you'll never get it 100% on, but at least close...which depends on the client, some are impossible to please).
Spot colors are a different story - I won't even attempt to match spot blues, greens, oranges... I just print out the Pantone chart digitally and ask the client if that is acceptable.
As for color management - if we know the job is going to be litho printed, then we use a ISO coated profile, and our printer and stocks are calibrated with the spectro.
If the job is digital only, than we use the digital machine's profile and its full gamut.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back