Woes: Laminating, creasing a black or dark colour patch printed paper

mulo_g

I have to bind a book ( 2 types, soft bind and hard bind) whose cover is coated art paper, black solid patch printed, matte laminated.
However, when I bind it there becomes visible a white line at the spine crease. This looks ugly.
Has anyone faced a similar situation? Any ideas how to solve this?

I just searched and found a similar thread. However, I have not deleted, there may be more ideas and problem was not conclusively soved. Thanks

Was the cover printed digitally? If so, plus matte film lam, you are faced with the most difficult laminating task that I encounter often enough. If the run is not too many copies, try this test. Moisten a cotton pad or cloth with alcohol and wipe the printed cover sheet, paying particular attention to the area of spine creases. For us, this seems to “take the edge off” of the toner/ink and fuser materials. Bind up a few and see if that helps. In addition, using software to limit the total ink coverage to around 240% has benefits too.

Was the cover printed digitally? If so, plus matte film lam, you are faced with the most difficult laminating task that I encounter often enough. If the run is not too many copies, try this test. Moisten a cotton pad or cloth with alcohol and wipe the printed cover sheet, paying particular attention to the area of spine creases. For us, this seems to “take the edge off” of the toner/ink and fuser materials. Bind up a few and see if that helps. In addition, using software to limit the total ink coverage to around 240% has benefits too.
Cover was offset printed.

Can you crease from other side? Maybe reduce pressure on the crease.

Very strange if offset printed, maybe laminated too soon before ink fully dried, any sealant used?

Just to confirm, the "white line" is bubbling/delaminating of the film lam from the printed sheet?

For perfect binding, I've seen where too much pressure of the nipping station jaws can cause this. Although loosening them gives you less of a square spine.

When building in the case bound books, the hinge area is usually reheated. This will potentially cause delamination also.

Not solutions, I know, but areas to observe or test anyway.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back