Would It Be a Good Idea to Use Foil Stamping and Hot Stamping To Print Logo?

Would It Be a Good Idea to Use Foil Stamping and Hot Stamping To Print Logo?

• Debossed gold foil hot stamping

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Debossed hot stamping

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have artwork that has logo but I decided that I want to have circle surround that logo but revision of artwork is not an option at this time and I need to get it printed fast. The paper is black coated matte one and what I want to do is to use 2 methods in total to have golden debossed effect:

1. Debossed gold foil stamping for logo
2. Debossed hot stamping for circle that surrounds logo

The reason that circle will use different method is because it is placed on the edge of paper which I assumed will be compex to do with foil but I may be wrong. See attached example below where I tried illustrating it.

Questions:

1. Is debossed foil hot stamping different than debossed hot stamping? I read that this method can use either foil or ink.

2. Would using both methods cause inconsistency in look and golden color for both logo and circle?

3. Should I worry about debossed foil hot stamping be more complex when doing this on edges of a circle?

Thank you

Attachments

• logo-method.jpg
    logo-method.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 208
Not understanding this. What, in your opinion, is the difference between "hot stamping" and "foil stamping?" In my vocabulary they are the same thing.

How is the circle on the edge of the paper? Is the circle die-cut out? A more explanatory artwork than just some black circle would really help us understand what your trying to ask here.

Would hot stamping be complex on the edge of a circle? Yes - you have very tight register to worry about. (Assuming the foiling has to register to a printed border that's sticking out the sides of the foiled circle like in your jpg attached.)

Not understanding this. What, in your opinion, is the difference between "hot stamping" and "foil stamping?" In my vocabulary they are the same thing.

For giving example as in my case, one is being done with gold ink and another is being done with gold foil.

How is the circle on the edge of the paper? Is the circle die-cut out? A more explanatory artwork than just some black circle would really help us understand what your trying to ask here.

It is die cut and that circle is 1.5mm in width. Initially I asked circle to be embossed but printer said they are unable to do this. They offered debossed foil stamping and I agreed on it.

Would hot stamping be complex on the edge of a circle? Yes - you have very tight register to worry about. (Assuming the foiling has to register to a printed border that's sticking out the sides of the foiled circle like in your jpg attached.)

And I guess having circle in width as low as 1.5mm is what would make it more complex or that does not influence complexity?

I have been following this for a while and . .. a1.5 mm wide circle-is that 1.5 mm outside diameter? what is the diameter of the inside of the circle?

I don't see embossing happening since the inside would be the same height as the circle
Foiling it would raise a problem with picking the inside of the circle.

and to top it off you want to die cut a 1.5 mm outside diameter circle? . . are you making confetti or do I just not understand the metric system?

:confused:

I have been following this for a while and . .. a1.5 mm wide circle-is that 1.5 mm outside diameter? what is the diameter of the inside of the circle?

Outside diameter = 39mm
Inside diameter = 36mm

This leaves gap between both of 1.5mm and it's the width of yellow circular line.

I don't see embossing happening since the inside would be the same height as the circle
Foiling it would raise a problem with picking the inside of the circle.

On this picture it seems possible:

embossed-golden-circle.jpg

and to top it off you want to die cut a 1.5 mm outside diameter circle? . . are you making confetti or do I just not understand the metric system?

:confused:

The die-cut is for whole (outside diameter).

yeah - now I see - its doable your talking about a 1.5 mm stroke of the circle not the diameter . . .

yeah - now I see - its doable your talking about a 1.5 mm stroke of the circle not the diameter . . .

Thanks. Do you think 1.5mm is the minimum stroke for this job or it could be thinner than that? I was actually wanting 1mm in the beginning but was afraid it will cause more complexity for the job.

Hi. My printer provided die-cut sample of hang tag to approve and debossed gold foil stamping was used for logo. I think logo, in particular it's font is not that accurate in some places which give "smudge" assumption. But maybe it's because manual process was used to prepare sample and mass-produced version will be accurate?

Printer also says that changes will not be noticed by changing stroke from 1.5mm to 1mm rule due to small dimensions of hang tag. It's hard to make decision by only having pictures at hand.

My hang tag is 65mm long and 40mm wide. It's on 0.5mm thick black coated carboard-like paper.
I also asked to increase radius of corners from 1mm to 2mm since corners still look pointy but he again said changes will not be noticed.

How long usually takes to prepare sample? Could be his lazyness and attempt to get me to settle for less or actually honesty?

I know that in branding logo must be consistent but I have 2nd version which is only outlined compared to logo I just used which is filled. Do you think I can use that 2nd version on hang tab while packaging uses 1st version?

Thanks

I myself find it hard to make decisions based on another persons descriptions of a job . . . I like to have something to look at if you could post a full size pdf showing what you have in mind - it might be possible to give a much more informed decision . . .

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back