Xante Ilumina Pulling toner from image

We have an Ilumina for doing full color envelopes digitally because our clients don't want to pay the cost of doing them offset. The machine is acting up on me. I am printing on a standard, inexpensive #10 letter envelope a return address and a very dark, detailed company icon. The printer will put a few through okay and then the toner from around the center of the image where the reversed type is seems to be lifting off and ending up lower on the image or on the back of the next envelope. This is happening in the printer, not on the conveyor belt. I've tried changing the fuser temperature, the paper weight settings, replacing drums that were nearing end of life... I have really run out of ideas. I could probably run the entire 1,000 envelope order 5 at a time and have it work okay as it usually will print 4-6 before lifting the toner, but I really rather not. Anyone have some advice for me? Please?

We run a similar machine of a different brand, and had this problem when I accidentally got into some older envelopes that had been put aside. Dampness will cause toner sticking problems like this. We even have a little steam coming off the end of the machine at times.

I'm sure you've tried different envelopes, perhaps from a different case? If nothing else, try a really heavy paper setting to slow it down and raise fuser temperature, or perhaps look at the total ink percentages on the original artwork. You may be able to back off on the ink coverage a bit where it's causing trouble.

We had a similar problem recently, running a translucent stock through the Ilumina too. We ended up going into the Job Specs under Media on the RIP and setting the paper to a higher GSM, and also altering the Surface to something like Glossy (Heavy) to slow it down, and then increased the fuser temp with the knob too.

Possumgal has a good point too, if the artwork is just too heavy then try reducing it also.

Possumgal has a good point too, if the artwork is just too heavy then try reducing it also.

If I had done the artwork myself I'd feel more comfortable doing so. I think that might be the major issue here as I'm reading that the art has about 300% coverage. It seems to be only lifting from the center of the image even though the entire top 2/3 are the 300% rich black.

If it were me, and I could do an end-around the sales bozos, I'd let the client know that the machine just has limitations & either ask them to adjust the logo, or see if it's permissible for you to do it & show them a proof before running the whole job. I know, that sounds a lot like common sense & we're not supposed to use that, but c'mon! :rolleyes:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back