Xerox 700 Problems

Kyloo

We recently purchases a Xerox 700 and after a busy 2 months are beginning to have some problems with color quality. We are seeing white streaks, ghosting and uneven color density. The technicians that have been out to look at the printer are telling me some of these issues can be expected but after re reading my ced, I did not see these issues mentioned anywhere. I am wondering if there is anyone else out there experiencing similar issues.

I'm running a Xerox 700 with Fiery front end. Seeing these issues on 106gsm and 300 gsm Xerox paper stocks.

It is possible for you to scan or take a picture out of 1 sheet that is showing the problem?
How many clicks you have on the machine?
How often are you calibrating the machine?
Have you replaced any of the drums since you got the machine?

Please provide more info in order to help you out.

Thanks.

JRT

we've had some problems, but yeah, if you could post an image it might help. it's interesting that you're on xerox papers and having the issues. seems like the first thing the techs would say is that it's the paper, but you've got them there.

maybe a developer? is the or are the streaks in the same place all the time or do they move?

See attached...notice the white lines between the boxes and the ghosting of the white boxes in the middle of the page.

375K copies (all pretty much 12x18).

Calibrate daily.

I have changed drums quote a few times since the machine was installed and I change drums once color quality is no longer acceptable.

We are seeing white streaks, ghosting and uneven color density.

We have been having the same issue with color density staying the same throughout our runs. This has been an ongoing issue for over a year. Every time this happens Xerox has to come out and replace the developer units. The problem will then go away till the next big run.

Dont feel bad. Having the same issues with our Ricoh 901. Many, many service calls, flew in a Ricoh Tech. Conference call with Ricoh techs from around the US. Changed developer units. Still no fix. Currently in a hold pattern to see what is going to happen next. Feel your pain.

We have been having the same issue with color density staying the same throughout our runs. This has been an ongoing issue for over a year. Every time this happens Xerox has to come out and replace the developer units. The problem will then go away till the next big run.

The senior technician was in last week and did mention to me that Xerox engineering is aware of an ongoing problem with their developer housings. He came in the other day and picked up some developer housings he had previously changed and told me engineering wanted him to see if he could modify them to work. They are suppose to be back in my shop tomorrow.

They did the same thing to us. They replaced our developer housing with one from a different machine. I forget what series they pulled it from but it was not from a 700. So far, it has been holding but we have not had any long runs since they replaced it.

We've had our Xerox 700 for 2 years and had atleast 6 changes on all the Developer housings.

Techs came in today and changed all developer housings. I noticed them modifying them slightly raising the main roller (the magnetic one that holds the developer.) They also brought me out a brand new Fiery used on the 700i. Tech here now setting up the new Fiery. I printed some test files before he got here and my issues are still present.

Ghosting is our biggest issue at the moment. We've noticed that every time ghosting can be seen, it causes by a white or light colored image duplicating onto a solid colored area.

Has anyone else seen this before or do I have a defective printer? Printer is still brand new. I never had these kinds of issues with my Doc6060 with 6 million 11x17 copies on it.

There are two ways to look at the problems with the Xerox 700: 1) Xerox over-marketed the machine relative to it's engineered capabilities, or 2) Engineering flaws have caused it to fall short of its intended capabilities. Either way, it's a sad joke of a machine when compared to the competitors it's priced against.

We've been running one for more than two years, and I'd say the entire internals of the machine have been replaced at least three times. As stated by others, the biggest flaw is with the toner delivery system/developer housings. Here's the issue in a nutshell: toner is what the little metal developer balls in the housing use for lubricant, and if you run too much heavy coverage, the developer housings will require a constant stream of toner from the toner cartridges to stay lubricated and deliver toner to the sheet. The toner cartridges have a little tiny door that opens and dispenses toner to the developer housings, so when the housings need lots of toner due to heavy coverage, they have a hard time getting enough through the little tiny door and have to continue to make repeated requests for toner. Each one of these requests works the developer housing gears hard and the toner delivery motors hard, wearing them out much more quickly than they should, and they still don't wind up getting enough toner, wearing out the coating on the metal developer balls, necessitating the replacement of the housings. We run a lot of heavy coverage and we've had our housings replaced a dozen times. The tech suggest replacing the toner cartridges when they're less than 50% full since that exacerbates the problem with not enough toner getting though the cartridge door as the cartridge gets emptier. This is but one of many absurdities one will encounter when operating a Xerox 700.

I suspect the modifications that are being reported are attempts to retrofit the 700 with any modifications that may have been made on the new 700i/770. I haven't been able to get any confirmation that the toner delivery system has been improved (Xerox sales claims the issue has been addressed though "software improvements"), so if anyone has any information on this, please share it.

We have 2.5 million clicks on our 700 and haven't had all the cronic problems that others are reporting. In fact this is one of the most reliable machines I have used for color. From DC3535 to X800. We have had developer housing issues but it just requires them to be replaced 2-4 times a year in our case. The actual act of replacing a housing takes a tech an hour and we worked out with the service manager for them to always have housings in town. We run print for pay material from manuals to marketing material 75gsm-300gsm and have very few issues.

As far as I know, sometimes ghosting can be caused by a defective or worn out Cleaning Blade. Ask the technician to check the cleaning mechanism.

JRT

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back