Xerox 700i vs. KM bizhub 6500

printergirl

We are currently outsourcing our printing and it is time to bring it in-house, we are at the volume level that it just makes sense moving forward for my business. We are currently having everything printed on a 700 (that is about 3.5 yrs old).

I just got my pricing from Xerox on a 700i with bustled fiery. Do they normally break out the RIP on a separate per month charge? It was something like $325/mo just for the bustled RIP which I thought was pretty high when spread over the 60 mo term. Can you outright buy the rip?

Also, does anyone know if there is no finisher unit, just a catch tray - will this affect paper curl or does the stock actually riding through the finisher help to decurl. I will be running 298gsm stocks mostly. Our stuff currently comes out pretty nice and flat, but they have the lite finisher on the 700.

And I have another option I am looking into on Monday someone local is near the end of a 5yr lease on a KM bizhub 6500 (16 mo left). At the end of the lease I could buy the machine for around 6K. Is the technology outdated already? I suspect the machine will have a low total click count, but don't want to have a used hunk of junk either.

Appreciate any help I can get on this decision. In the end we may decide to continue to outsource.

If Xerox are still using basically the same toner as I saw in the 700 a couple of years ago then the Konica will beat it hands down, it's also a far more robust machine.

When I was buying my last printer I was upgrading from a Xerox DC240, the 700's prints looked almost identical (like a glossy photocopy, albeit quite a good one) whereas the KM C5501 that I ended up buying looks almost litho when using silk stock.

The only thing that the Xerox can do that's better is very small text.

If I was you I'd find out what changes were made between the C6500 and the 01 updates and what the difference is between the 700 and 700i. If it's nothing major then I'd go Konica all the way, it just looks far less like a laser print and I've found it much much easier to sell.

if you are looking for quality...continue to outsource...there is no way you can compete with a real experienced print company equipment wise.

I am of the opinion that the finisher does help to decurl the stock.

why would you buy used equipment off a lease that is probably full of air....with no service company behind it....when there is tons of barely used equipment on the market? This is a buyers market...drive hard deals.

if you want the best bang for your buck...find a third party service provider...that will sell and service a gently used Xerox for you...and stand behind it....I have seen my customers push their KM equipment into the warehouse and give up on it....the ones that drive Xerox....are still driving them.....you get what you pay for.

We have had our 700 for 2.5 yrs. We run a Creo rip with a high capacity tray. It is a pricey unit but we have been very happy with the quality. When we looked at the KM vs. the Xerox when we leased the machine the quality between the two was very similar. We contacted several people in the surrounding areas (based in Erie, PA but spoke to shops in NY, OH and PA), it all came down to service. Find out who has the better service in your area. How does the KM compare on the cost? In regards to the invoicing yes the rip is always separate. The other thing to watch, and I think they all do this, your click cost will go up each year of the contract. FYI so you are not surprised. We chose to take the increases vs. locking in a higher rate. Let me know if you have other questions.

If the lease would be about 600 a month then buying a 6500 for 6K is only 10 months worth of lease then it owes you nothing. The KM 6500 sound a good machine and I am probably about to get one myself shortly. I am not sure however about what the cost of buying toner is or maintenence servicing would be seeing as it is not on a contract. We will be looking at a full on contract for security. We also are bringing in our out sourced work in-house.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back