Xerox Color 550/560

Keness

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of the new DocuColor 252/260 replacements, the Color 550/560. There was quite a bit of interest in them BEFORE they were released, and now that they're out, nothing...

Perhaps because they're a bit lackluster...? Although I'm sure they're very good machines, especially considering what they are replacing (and are based on) are very solid, but I was a little disappointed once I saw them. (And not just with the absurd color scheme!)

Basically, they are nothing more than the 252 and 260 they replace, but with LOWER B&W speeds and EA-Eco toner. That's really it, from what I see, other than they aforementioned (absurd) cosmetic changes.

On the accessory side of things they do connect to the Dual Oversize HCF which is nice, but their new cosmetics broke the streamlined look of everything by not sharing the same bullnose look of the feeders and finishers like the 700, the 4112/4127 and the Nuveras.

The cosmetic changes actually seem more like a ploy to make them seem like different machines than the recently refreshed WorkCentre 77xx series.

I was hoping they would differentiate with actual capabilities and not just plastic. I was hoping that a Digital Color Press 500 and DCP 600 would be joining the DCP 700 we already have. But although the 550/560 use the newer EA-Eco toner, they have NONE of the 700's other mechanical enhancements and are identical, inside, to the old 252/260.

It's a shame when a company allows their marketing department to grow too powerful and it starts exerting too much influence of the direction of products.

Still, at least the products they are replacing are solid. Not perfect, but very solid. So as long as the growing pains with EA-Eco have been worked out, the 550/560 should be solid as well, albeit boring.

so here are some differences between the Xerox DC252/DC260 and the new Xerox 550/560 besides the cosmetics:

- B&W Speed (letter size 24 lb paper): DC250: 65ppm, DC260: 75ppm. X550: 55ppm, X560: 65ppm

- Color Speed in letter size 24 lb paper is the same: DC250: 50ppm, DC260: 60ppm. X550: 50ppm, X560: 60ppm

- But Color Speed in 12x18 300gsm coated paper is up to 50% faster (what most people run all day long): DC250: 8ppm, DC260: 10ppm. X550: 12ppm, X560: 12ppm

- Front to Back Registration (Lead Edge Direction): DC250/260 3mm, X550/560 1.2mm

- Alignment Profiler (Registration) and Paper Profiler are now available for the end user on the X550/560

- The X550/560 can officially duplex on glossy media; DC250/260 couldn't.

- Booklets in glossy/coated media can be done now on the X550/560.

- Booklets can now be up to 25 sheets on the X550/560 compared to only 15 sheets on the DC250/260

- Dual Oversized High Capacity Feeder is available for the X550/560

Also, if I'm correct, all the options available to the 700 are now available to the 252/260 replacements. For instance, I couldn't get the decurler for my 252.

Also, if I'm correct, all the options available to the 700 are now available to the 252/260 replacements. For instance, I couldn't get the decurler for my 252.

Nothing there has changed. The mechanics behind the fuser (where the 700's "new" decurler is located) is not in the 550/560. Everything there is identical to the 260. The decurlers which have always been in the finishers are still there, though, of course. But the ones IN the print engine, like the 700 but not the 252/260 are still not there in the 550/560.

Not all the options from the X700 are available on the new X550/560.

On the new X550/560 now you can get a dual oversized high capacity feeder, an interface module (with custom decurlers) to connect to the booklet maker finisher (also called light production finisher).

On the X700 you can get more modules like the GBC puncher, High Capacity Stacker and Square Fold Booklet Maker and Trimmer.

What I want to know is if the Professional finisher features can be accessed from the print driver. Or is it like the DC252 where most of the finishing features are only accessible from the control console (during copying) in which case all you need is an OCT if you want to use it mainly as a printer.

What I want to know is if the Professional finisher features can be accessed from the print driver. Or is it like the DC252 where most of the finishing features are only accessible from the control console (during copying) in which case all you need is an OCT if you want to use it mainly as a printer.

that doesn't make sense. Why you wouldn't be able to access the finishing features from the print driver on a DC252? There's something wrong with your setup.

Last edited:

100% of the finisher's functions are available when printing on the DC252...

Xerox Color 550/560

Hey guys...

I have a Xerox 250 and I´m wondering if we should upgrade to the Color 550/560 or the 700.

The 250 has been very good to us and a good partner. As you know the registraton back to front on heavy papers are a big problem on the 250 and impossible to run SRA3 bypass on f. eks. 300g paper.

Is the register problem a lot less on the 550/560 of you take the oversized with the machine? (from 3mm down to 1mm?)
Is the toner more offset look and feel?
And does the machine take heavy stocks with more speed than the 250?

I´m thinking that the 550/560 is a logical next step. We run about 5-8.000 copies pr. month.

thanks...

Is the register problem a lot less on the 550/560 of you take the oversized with the machine? (from 3mm down to 1mm?)
Is the toner more offset look and feel?
And does the machine take heavy stocks with more speed than the 250?

- Yes, Front to Back Registration is 1.2mm on the X550 vs 3.0mm on the DC250
- It is a different toner called LOW MELT EA TONER. You need to see the output and make your own decision if it is more offset look and feel. Some people may say yes, some people may say is the same.
- Yes, it is faster. DC252 12x18 300gsm speed is 8ppm. On the X550 is 12ppm, that's 50% faster.

Xerox 55/560

Xerox 55/560

Thanks Mr. X33:)

From some of the things a have read, this machine is the little brother of the x700. I thinking that the price (40.000 $) is less then a x700 wich i dont know the price of.

If i have a oversized feeder (SRA3), can i exepct a good result in register front to back on 300g stock? F.eks printing businesscards as we do so much of.

thanks...

The X550 is not really the little brother of the X700. I would say is more like a DC25x with enhancements and some technology from the X700.

I think the Oversized Feeder is a MUST.

Then seeing a big gap in price between x550 and the 700... or a huge gap?

That depends on where you are and how you value money. I'd say the pricing on the new X550 is aligned to what the DC25x used to be.

Xerox 550/560

Xerox 550/560

Xerox here is telling me that the gap from the 550 to the 700 is almoust nothing regarding the price. One would think that the price would be about 30-35% lower on the 550?
I´m talking about the 550 with a dual high cap. trays and a light finisher. The 700 with the same config.

I find it a little strange:)

When you start adding accessories like the dual oversized high capacity feeders and the light production finisher, it becomes very close to a Xerox 700, so it makes sense that the gap in pricing narrows.

I was talking on a strip down unit, nothing but a catch tray.

Each country has its own pricing rules.

Hey guys,

I've been very interested in the new Xerox line, I held off buying a DocuColor knowing there would be new machines out at the end of the year. Everything seems to be better on the x550/560 series vs the DocuColor, but are there any disadvantages anyone has discovered?

How is the side-registration, i.e. the left margin? I currently use an OKI es9410 and the front-back and left-right registration is pinsharp, literally less than 0.1mm on most jobs. It seems strange that a hugely more expensive machine has poorer registration so I'm guessing the 1.2mm is a maximum potential drift, and on normal lightweight papers it's much less?

Thanks,
Andy

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back