Xerox Docucolor252 Registration Problems (REALLY need advice)

PrintingFools

We are running a 252.
We have ran it on the same paper and sheet size for a year.
Now we are down and have been down for about two weeks. After many service calls, now xerox techs are just missing in action.

We are running 13 X 19 3000 GSM C2S stock at full Color Max image size.

Problem: We will get everything set up perfect, then start running, it can get 3 pages in or sometime even 25 pages then it starts printing the images at different places on the page.

Example: One print will be 1/4 an inch higher than the one before it...then out of the blue a print will come out 1/4 of an inch lower than the first...so that means it actually moved 1/2 an inch to get there. But, most of the time it moves 1/4 of an inch going vertically only.

Because we have ran this machine for a year on this being our house stock......we really need to get back up and going. Any Ideas ???

Thank in advance for any help , B

I've had a 252 for 6 months now and noticed an image movement of the exact same description you provided, BUT only on stock over 300gsm. I figured that's the reason the machine is only rated for 300gsm. Perhaps the gripper wheels are having trouble? After a year they could be worn. Just a guess. Sorry it's of not much help.:( Have you called the tech?

Have you tried printing the same images on lower grammage 13" X 19" stock? Or you could request the techs to bring in a few sheets of SRA3 silk coated 280gsm colourtech paper for testing purposes?

Is your printer set up with a skew adjustment thumbscrew? This is a simple kit that can be installed to allow someone to adjust the angle at which the paper's lead edge hits the first print rollers on the main unit. If you DO have that thumbscrew, and it came loose, I suppose that could account for the variance in image placement.

Otherwise I have no idea...

Xerox Docucolor252 Registration Problems MORE INFO

Xerox Docucolor252 Registration Problems MORE INFO

1. As we move down in stock weight the problem does get to be less and less, But it never will go away. We tested 110 LB , 100Lb and so on....By the time you get to 100# Text it moves only by 1- 2 millimeters , Xerox considers that within tolerance, We would LOVE only a mill or two movement on the thicker stocks, we could deal with that, if that was the worst thing we had to deal with. NOT the 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.

2. But, as I mentioned we have run this 300GSM as our house stock for a year on this machine. This is a new problem

3. We have had many techs on site but they cant figure it out either, now we are down and we all know being down sucks, everyday is more money lost.

4. Does anyone have any thoughts on it being software ????

5. We did try the registration assembly issue as mentioned

Thanks, B

Just a wild guess. Are the previous stocks of the same grain direction with the current stocks you have now? Grain direction can affects registration in heavy stocks sometimes due to paper curl behaviour.

Xerox Docucolor252 Registration Problems UPDATE

Xerox Docucolor252 Registration Problems UPDATE

1. YES, We are using a High Capacity feeder for all of our runs.

2. The stock is Long Grain

1. Have you seen the 1-0 white switches? Have you played with them?

2. You should use short grain.

PrintingFools-- Which RIP do you have?
I know you've had your machine for a year and it has ran fine so this may or may not help... but when I've seen an issue like you have where the registration is off by a 1/2 inch, I always set the imposition to "1-up" on the RIP and the registration is then almost right on...

We had a similar problem with our 8000AP it turned out that the registration roller(s)?? needed changed. The image in my case moved 1/2 inch either direction lead to tail at random.

Ha! My guess was right! When I said "gripper wheels, I meant "registration rollers".

Ahh, I misunderstood the first post, thought the image was moving inboard to outboard which seemed very weird indeed.. But head to tail movement is pretty normal - not however, to the extent you're getting it.

Worn registration assembly definitely. Check to see if any loose screws or missing springs also - if someone clears a jam heavy-handedly it can damage the assembly. I had to fix mine with a hammer once, metal all bent outta shape.

'Registration' is done by stalling the sheet and timing on these machines so is not what you'd call stellar, but it kinda gets the job done.
Get a call out on the machine and get the tech to look at that part. Has "2a" written on it, you'll see it on the left when you open the fuser drawer.

Short term you can try cleaning the rollers on the assembly, might help a bit.

Xerox Docucolor252 Registration Problems (REALLY need advice)

Update:
1. Yes prints are being set as 1-Up ( it still does it )
As it is now , we are 100% down, I have a full Pallet left of our house stock and cant run it on the machine. We are bleeding money, does anyone know about getting out of this lease...as it does not look like they are going to fix this issue....by them I mean Xerox

Get a case of Xerox Brand 300gsm 12x18 or 13x19. Run it, if it performs the same as your house stock have them fix it or bring in a new machine. I'll guarantee the first thing they will tell you is it's the paper, therefore if you use their paper they can't blame the paper. Write a letter to your service and sales manager and inform them you are invoking the Total Satisfaction Guarantee and expect a like for like piece of equipment.

I will agree with X33, your paper should be grain short though.

This is disheartening. We experienced this same problem years ago with Xerox and finally after months of trying to get them to remedy the problem asked them to honor the Total Satisfaction Guarantee. Which it took a lawyer and a settlement to do. We are currently looking at replacing a few of our production copiers with Xerox again. Please keep us posted on what happens. I'm very curious to see if things have changed or if it's still business as usual.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back