Xerox OHCF Envelope Printing (Versant 180)

ReproElectroProspero

Xerox says that their production machines like the Versant 180 can run envelopes well. They even sold us an envelope feeder kit for our Xerox Oversize High Capacity Feeder. We've successfully ran some jobs, but it seems #9 and #10 envelopes just have an extremely difficult time running well. When we run 9x12s it's usually no problem. When we run regular size envelopes, we run into TONS of issues. Sometimes the OHCF doesn't recognize there is stock loaded, other times it jams with codes like 078-101 (Pre Registration Sensor Jam). We have to constantly fight the machine because if we load too many, or too little envelopes, the issues crop up. It's like we have to pray to the printing gods to get these things to feed. It's incredibly frustrating, and happens across a large variety of stocks.

We've tried using the plastic lift blocks that come with the envelope kit, running without them, feeding the envelopes rotated 180 degrees, fanning them constantly, replacing the rubber rollers, switching to another OHCF tray, and a myriad of other tricks.

While I search for a memjet-style solution, can anyone here recommend any tips or tricks to get a digital machine like a Versant 180 to run envelopes more consistently?

We have the same problem. We also bought the envelope kit. It worked great the first run so I thought all our woes were solved but alas... nope. It's still time-consuming to do a large envelope run.

We usually run the envelopes out of our bypass try because the delay for an "error" is about 90 seconds and the delay for an "empty bypass tray" is only about 30 seconds so even being able to only put 25 envelopes into the bypass tray is faster than the 90 second delay if the printer doesn't recognize the envelopes are loaded and/or throws a jam that is just basically "open and close the tray and hope it works this time".

The bypass tray doesn't have the same trouble as the the OHCFs with running the envelopes.

Xerox says that their production machines like the Versant 180 can run envelopes well. They even sold us an envelope feeder kit for our Xerox Oversize High Capacity Feeder. We've successfully ran some jobs, but it seems #9 and #10 envelopes just have an extremely difficult time running well. When we run 9x12s it's usually no problem. When we run regular size envelopes, we run into TONS of issues. Sometimes the OHCF doesn't recognize there is stock loaded, other times it jams with codes like 078-101 (Pre Registration Sensor Jam). We have to constantly fight the machine because if we load too many, or too little envelopes, the issues crop up. It's like we have to pray to the printing gods to get these things to feed. It's incredibly frustrating, and happens across a large variety of stocks.

We've tried using the plastic lift blocks that come with the envelope kit, running without them, feeding the envelopes rotated 180 degrees, fanning them constantly, replacing the rubber rollers, switching to another OHCF tray, and a myriad of other tricks.

While I search for a memjet-style solution, can anyone here recommend any tips or tricks to get a digital machine like a Versant 180 to run envelopes more consistently?
We run #10 envelopes very well on our Versant 180. You can only load about 150 at time in tray 6 with the envelope kit, but we have printed many boxes without a single jam. We print #10 window envelopes as well and they're not the laser safe ones. The window does get a little wavy but I've never had a client compliant.

I find the quality of the envelope is essential. A good envelope that comes flat out of the box can run 1000s without jams. Doesn't need to be an expensive or heavier envelope just some makes are better than others in how they're made and packed.

Personally I run them through the bypass tray. If you have them in short stacks before you start running and are very careful you can feed in envelopes under the stack while the machine is running. It is the same idea as Xerox's $15,000 high capacity envelope conveyor belt.

I bought the hi cap feeder, it is dummed down over priced Stream Feeder 71. #10 reg works best. I have had it less than a year, and every time I think I have it figured out, I don't.
When it runs it runs great. Don't bother with the conveyer belt, the machine does not need it. However it is way better then feeding from drawer 6 when it works. I paid about 10k for it.

We had reasonable success running envelopes on our Versant 180 without the envelope kit. We used the small sheet fence in tray 6. Sizes included #9, #10, A6, and A7. I agree with pippip that envelope quality does matter. Some types run just fine and others jam frequently. We loaded stacks of 150 to 200 envelopes at a time. This can be tedious for an order of 2500 but it was doable. Have you had a Xerox tech check your machine?

Tech today told me that there is are two white slider in the OHCF that needs to be slide to the O side when doing envelopes. Will see how it helps but apparently it's supposed to allow for larger stacks to be input into the tray.

On our semi-retired 2100, we always use the top bypass tray. We run primarily envelopes on that machine as it isn't under contract anymore. We run thousands between jams, but you definitely don't want envelopes that are too flimsy. We had some linen envelopes that were the wrong grain and it was a nightmare getting 500 through it.

On our semi-retired 2100, we always use the top bypass tray. We run primarily envelopes on that machine as it isn't under contract anymore. We run thousands between jams, but you definitely don't want envelopes that are too flimsy. We had some linen envelopes that were the wrong grain and it was a nightmare getting 500 through it.
You ran thousands through the bypass tray? Did you just have a staff member sit there and feed it every 50 envelopes? We dislike this method because of the 30-90 seconds the machine takes to 'reset' every time the bypass tray runs out, and since it's top-fed, we can't just keep adding to the stack. Do you have a trick to get around this?

You ran thousands through the bypass tray? Did you just have a staff member sit there and feed it every 50 envelopes? We dislike this method because of the 30-90 seconds the machine takes to 'reset' every time the bypass tray runs out, and since it's top-fed, we can't just keep adding to the stack. Do you have a trick to get around this?
We've been doing this - running them out of the bypass tray and giving it 35 envelopes at a time. It's not a great method and slow and tedious and time-consuming to have an employee sit there and refill every 30 seconds.

A random printer tech was here last week and showed us how to move both white sliders. With those turned on we were able to fill the Tray 6 all the way to the max line with #10 envelopes and did 3500 envelopes in half the time it would have taken us with the bypass tray.

Ironically, it works better if you fill the tray all the way to the max line but then once it starts printing it'll print until the tray empties.

We've been doing this - running them out of the bypass tray and giving it 35 envelopes at a time. It's not a great method and slow and tedious and time-consuming to have an employee sit there and refill every 30 seconds.

A random printer tech was here last week and showed us how to move both white sliders. With those turned on we were able to fill the Tray 6 all the way to the max line with #10 envelopes and did 3500 envelopes in half the time it would have taken us with the bypass tray.

Ironically, it works better if you fill the tray all the way to the max line but then once it starts printing it'll print until the tray empties.
We've been trying to recreate this, but just can't recreate it reliably. Sometimes they run beautifully as you describe, other times it's a jam every 5 minutes. I've switched to side seam, which helps, but there's still a random element of "I just won't feed right" today. I'm seriously looking to invest in a dedicated envelope printer just to avoid this. Plus, the price per envelope would likely be better.

We've been trying to recreate this, but just can't recreate it reliably. Sometimes they run beautifully as you describe, other times it's a jam every 5 minutes. I've switched to side seam, which helps, but there's still a random element of "I just won't feed right" today. I'm seriously looking to invest in a dedicated envelope printer just to avoid this. Plus, the price per envelope would likely be better.
We have KM's so it may not relate, but we found that in addition to switching to side seam, we flipped the envelopes around 180 degrees (so flaps were towards the operator side) feeding became almost flawless. Might be worth trying on your Xerox if you haven't already.

I just tried printing #10 envelopes from Tray 6, watched the tutorial video on Xerox website and I'm sure I have everything correct for settings. The versant tries to print and keeps attempting to pick up paper but never ends up actually feeding a sheet or printing. I switched to the bypass tray and first envelope printed with success. I haven't committed to a larger run... still in the testing phase.

I just tried printing #10 envelopes from Tray 6, watched the tutorial video on Xerox website and I'm sure I have everything correct for settings. The versant tries to print and keeps attempting to pick up paper but never ends up actually feeding a sheet or printing. I switched to the bypass tray and first envelope printed with success. I haven't committed to a larger run... still in the testing phase.
Have you replaced your rollers in tray 6? I find worn rollers struggle with envelopes. Also, have you tried adjusting your air flow settings? The switches on the top of the paper side guides, labled | and O. That can make a difference too. Tried selecting different weights? Adjusting air assist settings in a custom stock profile? Finally, order another brand of envelopes and see if that makes a difference. Lots of people report issues with side seam vs diagonal seam. (PS I'm suggesting a lot of tips but my Versant runs envelopes terribly...none of this is going to be magic solution. It'll just help you get 1000 out before you smash the feeding tray to bits out of frustration

Have you replaced your rollers in tray 6? I find worn rollers struggle with envelopes. Also, have you tried adjusting your air flow settings? The switches on the top of the paper side guides, labled | and O. That can make a difference too. Tried selecting different weights? Adjusting air assist settings in a custom stock profile? Finally, order another brand of envelopes and see if that makes a difference. Lots of people report issues with side seam vs diagonal seam. (PS I'm suggesting a lot of tips but my Versant runs envelopes terribly...none of this is going to be magic solution. It'll just help you get 1000 out before you smash the feeding tray to bits out of frustration
All good tips, thank you for the ideas you've tried. I'll look at that roller swap as I think I have a set here to see if that makes a difference. Then onto the other ideas you suggested.

All good tips, thank you for the ideas you've tried. I'll look at that roller swap as I think I have a set here to see if that makes a difference. Then onto the other ideas you suggested.
The envelope feeder kit helped us as well, at least the little piece that holds down the "paper detection sensor" - That made it so that at least the versant wouldn't keep saying it had no paper.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back